Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) in Brain Cancer
Award amount: 2 Awards, $50,000 total direct ($25,000 direct from grant and $25,000 direct from department) each
Deadline for submission: Sunday, May 1, 2016
Anticipated Award Date: August 1, 2016
The Neuro-Oncology Program at Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center (DF/HCC) is seeking applications for Career Enhancement Program (CEP) projects focused on adult or pediatric gliomas. Funding will be provided through the National Cancer Institute (NCI)-sponsored Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) mechanism for two awards. Eligible candidates are those who are in the final year of clinical fellowship or postdoctoral fellowship (M.D., Ph.D. or equivalent rank are required) or are within 5 years of their first faculty appointment who hold the current rank of Instructor or Assistant Professor. Applications will be judged on 1) their scientific merit, 2) their potential to contribute to the overall status of the DF/HCC Neuro-Oncology program and 3) the agreement of the applicant’s departmental chair to provide matching funds in the amount of $25,000 direct (+ institutional/nonfederal indirects), to be included in the application as a letter from the chair.
Application deadline is May 1, 2016. Awardees will be notified by June 1, 2016. Funding will start on August 1, 2016 and will be provided at $50,000 total direct ($25,000 direct from grant and $25,000 direct from department) to be spent by July 31, 2017. Funds can be used for salary and/or support of research at Harvard Medical School or Harvard-affiliated hospitals and institutions.
An application consists of the following components, to be submitted as one PDF document:
1. Abstract (1 page maximum)
2. Research Plan (3 pages maximum excluding references): Specific Aims, Background and Relevance to Gliomas, Preliminary Data, Experimental Methods, Analysis Plan
3. NIH Biosketch of Principal Investigator and Mentor
4. Mentor Letter of Support (1 page maximum)
5. Other Support for Applicant and Mentor (NIH form)
6. Budget and Budget Justification (1 page maximum)
7. Letter from applicant’s department chair agreeing to provide matching funds in the amount of $25,000 direct (+ institutional/nonfederal indirects) to be included, if awarded.
Applications should be submitted by May 1, 2016 to Leah Hesse (firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone: 617-726-1012). Minority and women applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.