Training Program in Nervous System Tumors
PAUL CALABRESI CAREER AWARD FOR CLINICAL ONCOLOGY (K12)
NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE, K12CA090354
The K12 training grant is designed for individuals who have completed clinical training in an Oncology discipline (Medical Oncology, Neuro-Oncology, Neurosurgical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, etc) and who desire a translational research experience in preparation for a career in academic medicine. View the Application Information page. Training is funded by NCI through the Paul Calabresi Career Development Award for Clinical Oncology (K12). The educational experience is uniquely tailored to each Scholar based on individual Scholar’s background.
Over 20 Scholars have completed this program. View the Scholars page.
- Timeline: The mentored Scholar period is a commitment for two years with at least 75% protected effort. The program cycle generally runs from July 1 to June 30 each year. View the Timeline page.
- Program guidance: Program is lead by two directors and advised by 3 Advisory Boards (Internal, External, Alumni), and includes a biostatistician and program administration. View the Contacts page, or view the Advisors page.
- Compensation and effort: Scholars receive salary support and commit at least 75% of full time professional effort to research training. All Scholars receive around a $30,000 annual budget to be used for: supplies, tuition, travel, dues, books, technical and statistical support.
- Scholar Mentorship: Each Scholar chooses a 3-4 person mentoring committee consisting of clinical and basic science researchers and meets with them at least twice per year. View the Faculty page.
Key Training elements include View the Training page.
- Basic Science Research
- Clinical Research
- Didactic core curriculum
- Complete NCI/Partners Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training requirements
- Present “K12 project updates” twice per year at weekly MGH Neuro Oncology Fellowship Meeting
- Provide an annual progress report
- Evaluate mentors and the overall program twice per year