Steven L. Gortmaker, PhD
- Neuman M, Kawachi I, Gortmaker S, Subramanian S.National economic development and disparities in body mass index: a cross-sectional study of data from 38 countries.PLoS ONE. 2014;9(6):e99327.
- Cespedes EM, Horan CM, Gillman MW, Gortmaker SL, Price S, Rifas-Shiman SL, Mitchell K, Taveras EM.Participant characteristics and intervention processes associated with reductions in television viewing in the High Five for Kids study.Prev Med. 2014 May;62:64-70.
- Wright DR, Taveras EM, Gillman MW, Horan CM, Hohman KH, Gortmaker SL, Prosser LA.The cost of a primary care-based childhood obesity prevention intervention.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014;14:44.
- Gortmaker SL, Taveras EM.Who becomes obese during childhood--clues to prevention.N Engl J Med. 2014 Jan 30;370(5):475-6.
- Cradock AL, Barrett JL, Carter J, McHugh A, Sproul J, Russo ET, Dao-Tran P, Gortmaker SL.Impact of the Boston Active School Day policy to promote physical activity among children.Am J Health Promot.;28(3 Suppl):S54-64.
- Long MW, Sobol AM, Cradock AL, Subramanian SV, Blendon RJ, Gortmaker SL.School-day and overall physical activity among youth.Am J Prev Med. 2013 Aug;45(2):150-7.
- Van Cleave J, Gortmaker SL, Perrin JM.Dynamics of obesity and chronic health conditions among children and youth.JAMA. 2010 Feb 17;303(7):623-30.
- Gortmaker SL.Innovations to reduce television and computertime and obesity in childhood.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008 Mar;162(3):283-4.
- Mimiaga MJ, Fair AD, Mayer KH, Koenen K, Gortmaker S, Tetu AM, Hobson J, Safren SA.Experiences and sexual behaviors of HIV-infected MSM who acquired HIV in the context of crystal methamphetamine use.AIDS Educ Prev. 2008 Feb;20(1):30-41.
- Nelson TF, Gortmaker SL, Subramanian SV, Wechsler H.Vigorous physical activity among college students in the United States.J Phys Act Health. 2007 Oct;4(4):495-508.
- Mimiaga MJ, Tetu AM, Gortmaker S, Koenen KC, Fair AD, Novak DS, Vanderwarker R, Bertrand T, Adelson S, Mayer KH.HIV and STD status among MSM and attitudes about Internet partner notification for STD exposure.Sex Transm Dis. 2008 Feb;35(2):111-6.
- Cradock AL, Melly SJ, Allen JG, Morris JS, Gortmaker SL.Characteristics of school campuses and physical activity among youth.Am J Prev Med. 2007 Aug;33(2):106-113.
- Cradock AL, Melly SJ, Allen JG, Morris JS, Gortmaker SL.Characteristics of school campuses and physical activity among youth.Am J Prev Med.;33:106-113.
- Perrin JM, Bloom SR, Gortmaker SL.The increase of childhood chronic conditions in the United States.JAMA. 2007 Jun 27;297(24):2755-9.
- Nelson TF, Gortmaker SL, Subramanian SV, Cheung L, Wechsler H.Disparities in Overweight and Obesity Among US College Students.Am J Health Behav. 2007 Jul 1;31(4):363-373.
- Taveras EM, Sobol AM, Hannon C, Finkelstein D, Wiecha J, Gortmaker SL.Youths' perceptions of overweight-related prevention counseling at a primary care visit.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007 Apr;15(4):831-6.
- Franks A, Kelder SH, Dino GA, Horn KA, Gortmaker SL, Wiecha JL, Simoes EJ.School-based programs: lessons learned from CATCH, Planet Health, and Not-On-Tobacco.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2007 Apr;4(2):A33.
- Karliner LS, Napoles-Springer A, Kerlikowske K, Haas JS, Gregorich SE, Kaplan CP.Missed opportunities: family history and behavioral risk factors in breast cancer risk assessment among a multiethnic group of women.J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Mar;22(3):308-14.
- Wang YC, Gortmaker SL, Sobol AM, Kuntz KM.Estimating the energy gap among US children: a counterfactual approach.Pediatrics. 2006 Dec;118(6):e1721-33.
- Wiecha JL, Peterson KE, Ludwig DS, Kim J, Sobol A, Gortmaker SL.When children eat what they watch: impact of television viewing on dietary intake in youth.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006 Apr;160(4):436-42.
- Wiecha JL, El Ayadi AM, Fuemmeler BF, Carter JE, Handler S, Johnson S, Strunk N, Korzec-Ramirez D, Gortmaker SL.Diffusion of an integrated health education program in an urban school system: planet health.J Pediatr Psychol. 2004 Sep;29(6):467-74.
- Ludwig DS, Gortmaker SL.Programming obesity in childhood.Lancet. 2004 Jul 17;364(9430):226-7.
- Cradock AL, Wiecha JL, Peterson KE, Sobol AM, Colditz GA, Gortmaker SL.Youth recall and TriTrac accelerometer estimates of physical activity levels.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Mar;36(3):525-32.
- Ludwig DS, Ebbeling CB, Peterson KE, Gortmaker SL.Hard facts about soft drinks.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004 Mar;158(3):290; author reply 290.
- Bowman SA, Gortmaker SL, Ebbeling CB, Pereira MA, Ludwig DS.Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household survey.Pediatrics. 2004 Jan;113(1 Pt 1):112-8.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Thomas TN, Peterson KE, Wiecha J, Sobol AM, Gortmaker SL.Impact of television viewing patterns on fruit and vegetable consumption among adolescents.Pediatrics. 2003 Dec;112(6 Pt 1):1321-6.
- Dietz WH, Bland MG, Gortmaker SL, Molloy M, Schmid TL.Policy tools for the childhood obesity epidemic.J Law Med Ethics. 2002 Fall;30(3 Suppl):83-7.
- Gidwani PP, Sobol A, DeJong W, Perrin JM, Gortmaker SL.Television viewing and initiation of smoking among youth.Pediatrics. 2002 Sep;110(3):505-8.
- Wiecha JL, Sobol AM, Peterson KE, Gortmaker SL.Household television access: associations with screen time, reading, and homework among youth.Ambul Pediatr. 2001 Sep-Oct;1(5):244-51.
- Gortmaker SL, Hughes M, Cervia J, Brady M, Johnson GM, Seage GR, Song LY, Dankner WM, Oleske JM,.Effect of combination therapy including protease inhibitors on mortality among children and adolescents infected with HIV-1.N Engl J Med. 2001 Nov 22;345(21):1522-8.
- Dietz WH, Gortmaker SL.Preventing obesity in children and adolescents.Annu Rev Public Health. 2001;22:337-53.
- Austin SB, Gortmaker SL.Dieting and smoking initiation in early adolescent girls and boys: a prospective study.Am J Public Health. 2001 Mar;91(3):446-50.
- Ludwig DS, Peterson KE, Gortmaker SL.Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis.Lancet. 2001 Feb 17;357(9255):505-8.
- Hernández B, Gortmaker SL, Colditz GA, Peterson KE, Laird NM, Parra-Cabrera S.Association of obesity with physical activity, television programs and other forms of video viewing among children in Mexico city.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1999 Aug;23(8):845-54.
- Gortmaker SL, Cheung LW, Peterson KE, Chomitz G, Cradle JH, Dart H, Fox MK, Bullock RB, Sobol AM, Colditz G, Field AE, Laird N.Impact of a school-based interdisciplinary intervention on diet and physical activity among urban primary school children: eat well and keep moving.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999 Sep;153(9):975-83.
- Gortmaker SL, Peterson K, Wiecha J, Sobol AM, Dixit S, Fox MK, Laird N.Reducing obesity via a school-based interdisciplinary intervention among youth: Planet Health.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999 Apr;153(4):409-18.
- Field AE, Cheung L, Wolf AM, Herzog DB, Gortmaker SL, Colditz GA.Exposure to the mass media and weight concerns among girls.Pediatrics. 1999 Mar;103(3):E36.
- Gortmaker SL, Mariani A, Peterson K, Cheung L, Wiecha J.Exercise.Cancer Causes Control. 1997 Nov;8 Suppl 1:S17-9.
- Newacheck PW, Stein RE, Walker DK, Gortmaker SL, Kuhlthau K, Perrin JM.Monitoring and evaluating managed care for children with chronic illnesses and disabilities.Pediatrics. 1996 Nov;98(5):952-8.
- Barfield WD, Wise PH, Rust FP, Rust KJ, Gould JB, Gortmaker SL.Racial disparities in outcomes of military and civilian births in California.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1996 Oct;150(10):1062-7.
- Gortmaker SL, Must A, Sobol AM, Peterson K, Colditz GA, Dietz WH.Television viewing as a cause of increasing obesity among children in the United States, 1986-1990.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1996 Apr;150(4):356-62.
- Ching PL, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Colditz GA, Gortmaker SL, Stampfer MJ.Activity level and risk of overweight in male health professionals.Am J Public Health. 1996 Jan;86(1):25-30.
- Must A, Gortmaker SL, Dietz WH.Risk factors for obesity in young adults: Hispanics, African Americans and Whites in the transition years, age 16-28 years.Biomed Pharmacother. 1994;48(3-4):143-56.
- Wolf AM, Gortmaker SL, Cheung L, Gray HM, Herzog DB, Colditz GA.Activity, inactivity, and obesity: racial, ethnic, and age differences among schoolgirls.Am J Public Health. 1993 Nov;83(11):1625-7.
- Gortmaker SL, Must A, Perrin JM, Sobol AM, Dietz WH.Social and economic consequences of overweight in adolescence and young adulthood.N Engl J Med. 1993 Sep 30;329(14):1008-12.
- Perrin EC, Newacheck P, Pless IB, Drotar D, Gortmaker SL, Leventhal J, Perrin JM, Stein RE, Walker DK, Weitzman M.Issues involved in the definition and classification of chronic health conditions.Pediatrics. 1993 Apr;91(4):787-93.
- Weitzman M, Gortmaker SL, Sobol AM, Perrin JM.Recent trends in the prevalence and severity of childhood asthma.JAMA. 1992 Nov 18;268(19):2673-7.
- McCormick MC, Gortmaker SL, Sobol AM.Very low birth weight children: behavior problems and school difficulty in a national sample.J Pediatr. 1990 Nov;117(5):687-93.
- Gortmaker SL, Dietz WH, Cheung LW.Inactivity, diet, and the fattening of America.J Am Diet Assoc. 1990 Sep;90(9):1247-52, 1255.
- Gortmaker SL, Walker DK, Weitzman M, Sobol AM.Chronic conditions, socioeconomic risks, and behavioral problems in children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 1990 Mar;85(3):267-76.
- Gortmaker SL, Bickford AF, Mathewson HO, Dumbaugh K, Tirrell PC.A successful experiment to reduce unnecessary laboratory use in a community hospital.Med Care. 1988 Jun;26(6):631-42.
- Stein RE, Gortmaker SL, Perrin EC, Perrin JM, Pless IB, Walker DK, Weitzman M.Severity of illness: concepts and measurements.Lancet. 1987 Dec 26;2(8574):1506-9.
- Gortmaker SL, Dietz WH, Sobol AM, Wehler CA.Increasing pediatric obesity in the United States.Am J Dis Child. 1987 May;141(5):535-40.