Collaborating to Change the Status Quo in Prostate Cancer
On Friday, April 6th, the sixth annual Cancer Disparities Research Symposium kicked off with keynote speaker Mack Roach III, MD (UCSF) and his presentation entitled “Prostate Cancer Therapy: Implications in Vulnerable Communities”.
This symposium, made up of a keynote talk, panel discussion, networking lunch, and break-out session, was designed to encourage open discussion, brainstorming, and ideas. The unique blend of participants, from policy to practice to patient and in between, including DF/HCC members from BIDMC, BWH, DFCI and MGH, and the moderation and guiding tone of Dr. Christopher Lathan (DFCI) provided for some eye-opening testimony from all corners of the continuum of care for prostate cancer:
- Patient navigators spoke about their challenges, and ideas for improvement
- Cancer care scientists shared tools and research data
- City and State public health officials spoke of their initiatives and sought feedback
- Primary care physicians gave real-world examples of the information-seeking behavior of at-risk individual
- Oncologists spoke of the benefits of early intervention, but the challenges in their interactions with patients
Although there was much frank discussion and brainstorming about disparities in prostate cancer care and outcomes among the attendees, the symposium organizers Dr. Lathan, and Karen Burns White (DF/HCC IECD) intend to keep the conversation going after attendees return to their daily lives.
To this end, the final break-out session was designed to do exactly that. Moderated by Dr. Lathan, the session included identifying key points and action items for further follow up. Attendees will be receive key takeaways and will be encouraged to continue the energetic discourse that occurred, with the goal of hammering out actionable ideas that can help close the disparities gap.
What happened at the symposium was important, but what happens next is the key to change. Event organizers plan to release a 'white paper' outlining the discussion and next steps. Click here to view a recap of a past Cancer Disparities Research Symposium including detailed discussion notes.
Past Symposium Information
- 2017 - Culture: An Integrating Framework for Cancer Health Disparities Research and Practice
Keynote Speaker: Marjorie Kagawa-Singer, PhD, MA, MN, RN, FAAN (download flier)
- 2016 - Reducing Disparities in Cancer Care: Colorectal Cancer
Keynote Speaker: Electra D. Paskett, PhD, MPH (download flier) (download event recap/notes)
- 2015 - Using an Integrated Approach to Address Immigrant Cancer Disparities
Keynote Speaker: Francesca M. Gany, MD, MD (download flier)
- 2014 - Cancer Disparities Research Symposium
Keynote Speaker: Derrick J. Beech, MD, FACS (download flier)
- 2013 - Cancer Disparities Research Symposium
Keynote Speaker: Lovell Jones, PhD (download flier)