Request for Applications: DF/HCC Breast Cancer SPORE Developmental Project Awards (Pilot Projects)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5:00PM – Wednesday, December 4, 2013
- Harvard (including the Broad Institute) faculty membership at the level of Instructor or higher
- The applicant must be in a position that is not time-limed. Post-doctoral fellows and visiting faculty are not eligible
- Minority faculty are strongly encouraged to apply
- Projects may bridge SPOREs; DRP awards linked to another DRP award or SPORE project at Harvard or another institution are particularly encouraged
Purpose: to advance high quality, novel early-phase research, foster new ideas in breast cancer research and to move research projects from a pilot stage to a level where external funding for more mature research is possible.
Focus: Breast Cancer Research (biology, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of breast cancer).
Range of Awards: direct cost budgets of between $50,000-75,000 annually (plus applicable indirect costs per your institution’s federally negotiated rate). Funds for this award should be spent by July 31, 2016 (the end of the grant period). The second year of funding for these two year awards will be based upon assessment of progress.
Start Date: Funding will begin February 1, 2014
Selection Criteria: a review committee will make the award based on these criteria:
- Likelihood of independent funding based on the preliminary data developed by this award
- Translational scientific merit. Pure laboratory projects are acceptable if there is a path to a translational endpoint
- Potential for clinical impact on breast cancer patients
- Opportunity to bring new investigators into the Breast SPORE and DF/HCC Breast Program
- Integration and collaboration with the SPORE projects and cores
- Enthusiasm of the investigator to be part of the Breast SPORE mission and willingness to participate in Breast SPORE activities
Application Materials: e-mail the following materials in a single PDF file to BreastSPORE@partners.org
- Letter of institutional support from the applicant’s department chair or division chief providing evidence of institutional support and a guarantee of protected time, research space, and office space.
- Harvard-format CV
- Budget categorizing expenditures for each year of funding. FOR INSTITUTIONS OTHER THAN DFCI, SIGN OFF ON THE BUDGET FROM YOUR INSTITUTION IS REQUIRED.
- Proposal concept indicating a commitment to the Breast SPORE and to breast cancer research in general.
Submissions should be a maximum of five-pages not including an abstract and references.
Proposals should follow a standard format that includes specific aims, background, preliminary studies, and approach (note: preliminary data is not required but a record of earlier accomplishments is preferred).
Applicants may meet with a SPORE biostatistician for a consultation if desired.
NO SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION WILL BE ACCEPTED. ADHERENCE TO THE SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS IS MANDATORY FOR INCLUSION IN THE REVIEW.
Please send any questions to BreastSPORE@partners.org.
- FUNDING-_DFHCC_Breast_SPORE_DRP_RFA.pdf131 K