AWARD AMOUNT: up to $50,000 (direct costs) per year for one year with the potential for renewal for a second year
APPLICATION DEADLINE: On or before Wednesday, May 17, 2017 by 5pm
ANTICIPATED AWARD DATE: July 1, 2017
The Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center Specialized Program in Research Excellence (SPORE) in Prostate Cancer seeks applications for a Career Enhancement Program Award and Developmental Project Award in Prostate Cancer Translational Research. Please note the deadline for applications is Wednesday, May 17, 2017 by 5 PM.
Career Enhancement Award
The goals of the career enhancement program (CEP) are to support junior-level CEP recipients to develop into independent researchers and more senior-level researchers as they focus a substantial research effort toward Prostate Cancer.
Eligible candidates are either in their final year of clinical or postdoctoral fellowship (MD, PhD or MD/PhD required), or hold an academic appointment not higher than Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School or the Harvard School of Public Health. A track record of interest and productivity in prostate cancer research is required. The research plan and career goals of the individual may include the disciplines of basic biology, treatment science, population studies, or outcomes research, but must have a plan for translation into humans, since the purpose of this program is to promote translational research in prostate cancer. Applications will be judged on their scientific merit and/or the potential for contribution to the overall status of the DF/HCC Prostate Cancer Program/Prostate Cancer SPORE.
The awardee will receive up to $50,000 in direct costs for one year for the budget period 7/1/2017-6/30/2018 (although it is possible, depending on the potential for translation and contribution to the SPORE, that the award may be renewed for a 2nd year at the discretion of the SPORE Director), which can be used for salary and/or support of research at Harvard Medical School, the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health or any of the Harvard-affiliated hospitals. Funding provided needs to be spent within the budgeted time period.
The individual would become a member of the DF/HCC Prostate Cancer Program and the DF/HCC Prostate Cancer SPORE and would be expected to attend SPORE activities (meetings, retreats, research presentations). Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Application Materials: e-mail the following materials in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 17, 2017 at 5 PM.
- A brief summary of the research plan (not to exceed 5 pages excluding references) including an Abstract, Specific Aims, Background and Relevance, Preliminary Data, Experimental Methods/Research Plan, Translational Goals, and anticipated time line.
- Budget (NIH 398 Form Page 4) up to $50,000 direct costs per year (plus indirect costs using your institute¹s federally negotiated rate) for budget period 7/1/2017-6/30/2018.
- For institutions other than DFCI, institutional signature on a Statement of Intent is required.
- Applicant¹s Biosketch (New NIH Format 5 page limit)
- Reference letter from applicant¹s primary mentor. The letter should outline the research and career plan for the candidate.
- Letter of institutional support from the applicant¹s department chair or division chief providing evidence of institutional support and a guarantee of protected time, research space, and office space.