Cancer pioneer Judah Folkman, MD, dies at 74
DF/HCC member and cancer research pioneer Judah Folkman, MD, passed away on Jan. 14. Folkman originated the groundbreaking idea that angiogenesis is central to the development and growth of tumors.Today, at least 50 angiogenesis inhibitors are in clinical trials around the world, and more than 1,000 laboratories in universities and industry are conducting angiogenesis research.
Children's Hospital Boston now has a section on their website entitled, "Remembering Judah Folkman: A Bright Light," which gives more information about the life, research, and legacy of Folkman, as well as a section where individuals can share their memories of this visionary doctor.
Other related articles:
- ABC News: Patients, Docs Remember Cancer Pioneer Judah Folkman
- Associated Press: Famed Cancer Researcher Folkman Dies
- Bloomberg: Harvard's Folkman Dies; Tied Cancer, Blood Vessels
- Boston Globe: Judah Folkman, Cancer's Innovative Enemy, Dies at 74
- National Public Radio: Folkman Cancer Research Pioneer, Dies at 74
- New York Times: Judah Folkman, Researcher, Dies at 74
- Reuters: Cancer Pioneer Judah Folkman Dies
- Washington Post: M. Judah Folkman, 74; Research Raises Hopes of Cure for Cancer