Mark Schuster, MD, PhD
- Coker TR, Elliott MN, Wallander JL, Cuccaro P, Grunbaum JA, Corona R, Saunders AE, Schuster MA.Association of family stressful life-change events and health-related quality of life in fifth-grade children.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011 Apr;165(4):354-9.
- Kennedy DP, Cowgill BO, Bogart LM, Corona R, Ryan GW, Murphy DA, Nguyen T, Schuster MA.Parents' Disclosure of Their HIV Infection to Their Children in the Context of the Family.AIDS Behav. 2010 Oct;14(5):1095-105.
- Coker TR, Sareen HG, Chung PJ, Kennedy DP, Weidmer BA, Schuster MA.Improving access to and utilization of adolescent preventive health care: the perspectives of adolescents and parents.J Adolesc Health. 2010 Aug;47(2):133-42.
- Oreskovic NM, Kuhlthau KA, Laraque D, Serwint JR, Schuster MA.Health care reform for children: views from the Academic Pediatric Association.Acad Pediatr.;10(3):153-4.
- Windle M, Brener N, Cuccaro P, Dittus P, Kanouse DE, Murray N, Wallander J, Schuster MA.Parenting predictors of early-adolescents' health behaviors: simultaneous group comparisons across sex and ethnic groups.J Youth Adolesc. 2010 Jun;39(6):594-606.
- Coker TR, Austin SB, Schuster MA.The health and health care of lesbian, gay, and bisexual adolescents.Annu Rev Public Health. 2010 Apr 21;31:457-77. Review.
- Uyeda K, Bogart LM, Hawes-Dawson J, Schuster MA.Development and implementation of a school-based obesity prevention intervention: lessons learned from community-based participatory research.Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2009;3(3):249-55.
- Necheles JW, Chung EQ, Hawes-Dawson J, Ryan GW, Williams SB, Holmes HN, Wells KB, Vaiana ME, Schuster MA.The Teen Photovoice Project: a pilot study to promote health through advocacy.Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2007;1(3):221-9.
- Patel AI, Bogart LM, Uyeda KE, Rabin A, Schuster MA.Perceptions about availability and adequacy of drinking water in a large California school district.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2010 Mar;7(2):A39.
- Chung PJ, Garfield CF, Elliott MN, Ostroff J, Ross C, Jernigan DH, Vestal KD, Schuster MA.Association between adolescent viewership and alcohol advertising on cable television.Am J Public Health. 2010 Mar;100(3):555-62.
- Schuster MA.Excellence in research: threats from all directions.Acad Pediatr.;10(1):7-9.
- Franzini L, Taylor W, Elliott MN, Cuccaro P, Tortolero SR, Janice Gilliland M, Grunbaum J, Schuster MA.Neighborhood characteristics favorable to outdoor physical activity: disparities by socioeconomic and racial/ethnic composition.Health Place. 2010 Mar;16(2):267-74.
- Emans SJ, Austin SB, Goodman E, Orr DP, Freeman R, Stoff D, Litt IF, Schuster MA, Haggerty R, Granger R, Irwin CE, .Improving adolescent and young adult health - training the next generation of physician scientists in transdisciplinary research.J Adolesc Health. 2010 Feb;46(2):100-9.
- Schuster MA.Excellence in research: threats from all directions.J Adolesc Health. 2010 Feb;46(2):110-2.
- Beckett MK, Elliott MN, Martino S, Kanouse DE, Corona R, Klein DJ, Schuster MA.Timing of parent and child communication about sexuality relative to children's sexual behaviors.Pediatrics. 2010 Jan;125(1):34-42.
- Patel AI, Bogart LM, Uyeda KE, Martinez H, Knizewski R, Ryan GW, Schuster MA.School site visits for community-based participatory research on healthy eating.Am J Prev Med. 2009 Dec;37(6 Suppl 1):S300-6.
- Shetgiri R, Kataoka SH, Ryan GW, Askew LM, Chung PJ, Schuster MA.Risk and resilience in Latinos: a community-based participatory research study.Am J Prev Med. 2009 Dec;37(6 Suppl 1):S217-24.
- Goh YY, Bogart LM, Sipple-Asher BK, Uyeda K, Hawes-Dawson J, Olarita-Dhungana J, Ryan GW, Schuster MA.Using community-based participatory research to identify potential interventions to overcome barriers to adolescents' healthy eating and physical activity.J Behav Med. 2009 Oct;32(5):491-502.
- Coker TR, Austin SB, Schuster MA.Health and healthcare for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth: reducing disparities through research, education, and practice.J Adolesc Health. 2009 Sep;45(3):213-5.
- Wang CJ, Elliott MN, Rogowski J, Lim N, Ratner JA, Schuster MA.Factors influencing the enrollment of eligible extremely-low-birth-weight children in the part C early intervention program.Acad Pediatr.;9(4):283-7.
- Coker TR, Elliott MN, Kanouse DE, Grunbaum JA, Gilliland MJ, Tortolero SR, Cuccaro P, Schuster MA.Prevalence, characteristics, and associated health and health care of family homelessness among fifth-grade students.Am J Public Health. 2009 Aug;99(8):1446-52.
- Wallander JL, Taylor WC, Grunbaum JA, Franklin FA, Harrison GG, Kelder SH, Schuster MA.Weight status, quality of life, and self-concept in African American, Hispanic, and white fifth-grade children.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009 Jul;17(7):1363-8.
- Corona R, Cowgill BO, Bogart LM, Parra MT, Ryan G, Elliott MN, Park SK, Patch J, Schuster MA.Brief report: a qualitative analysis of discussions about HIV in families of parents with HIV.J Pediatr Psychol. 2009 Jul;34(6):677-80.
- Coker TR, Elliott MN, Kanouse DE, Grunbaum JA, Schwebel DC, Gilliland MJ, Tortolero SR, Peskin MF, Schuster MA.Perceived racial/ethnic discrimination among fifth-grade students and its association with mental health.Am J Public Health. 2009 May;99(5):878-84.
- Szilagyi PG, Schuster MA, Cheng TL.The scientific evidence for child health insurance.Acad Pediatr.;9(1):4-6.
- Coker TR, Elliott MN, Kataoka S, Schwebel DC, Mrug S, Grunbaum JA, Cuccaro P, Peskin MF, Schuster MA.Racial/Ethnic disparities in the mental health care utilization of fifth grade children.Acad Pediatr.;9(2):89-96.
- Rosenthal MS, Lucas GI, Tinney B, Mangione C, Schuster MA, Wells K, Wong M, Schwarz D, Tuton LW, Howell JD, Heisler M.Teaching community-based participatory research principles to physicians enrolled in a health services research fellowship.Acad Med. 2009 Apr;84(4):478-84.
- Ramchand R, Elliott MN, Mrug S, Grunbaum JA, Windle M, Chandra A, Peskin MF, Cooper SP, Schuster MA.Substance use and delinquency among fifth graders who have jobs.Am J Prev Med. 2009 Apr;36(4):297-303.
- Schuster MA, Chung PJ, Elliott MN, Garfield CF, Vestal KD, Klein DJ.Perceived effects of leave from work and the role of paid leave among parents of children with special health care needs.Am J Public Health. 2009 Apr;99(4):698-705.
- Grudzen CR, Elliott MN, Kerndt PR, Schuster MA, Brook RH, Gelberg L.Condom use and high-risk sexual acts in adult films: a comparison of heterosexual and homosexual films.Am J Public Health. 2009 Apr;99 Suppl 1:S152-6.
- Franzini L, Elliott MN, Cuccaro P, Schuster M, Gilliland MJ, Grunbaum JA, Franklin F, Tortolero SR.Influences of physical and social neighborhood environments on children's physical activity and obesity.Am J Public Health. 2009 Feb;99(2):271-8.
- Rodríguez RL, Elliott MN, Vestal KD, Suttorp MJ, Schuster MA.Determinants of health insurance status for children of Latino immigrant and other US farm workers: findings from the National Agricultural Workers Survey.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008 Dec;162(12):1175-80.
- Cowgill BO, Bogart LM, Corona R, Ryan G, Schuster MA.Fears about HIV transmission in families with an HIV-infected parent: a qualitative analysis.Pediatrics. 2008 Nov;122(5):e950-8.
- Drasin H, Beals KP, Elliott MN, Lever J, Klein DJ, Schuster MA.Age cohort differences in the developmental milestones of gay men.J Homosex. 2008;54(4):381-99.
- Allen ML, Elliott MN, Fuligni AJ, Morales LS, Hambarsoomian K, Schuster MA.The relationship between Spanish language use and substance use behaviors among Latino youth: a social network approach.J Adolesc Health. 2008 Oct;43(4):372-9.
- Schuster MA, Chung PJ, Elliott MN, Garfield CF, Vestal KD, Klein DJ.Awareness and use of California's Paid Family Leave Insurance among parents of chronically ill children.JAMA. 2008 Sep 3;300(9):1047-55.
- Mutchler MG, Bogart LM, Elliott MN, McKay T, Suttorp MJ, Schuster MA.Psychosocial correlates of unprotected sex without disclosure of HIV-positivity among African-American, Latino, and White men who have sex with men and women.Arch Sex Behav. 2008 Oct;37(5):736-47.
- Mrug S, Elliott M, Gilliland MJ, Grunbaum JA, Tortolero SR, Cuccaro P, Schuster M.Positive parenting and early puberty in girls: protective effects against aggressive behavior.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008 Aug;162(8):781-6.
- Schuster MA, Corona R, Elliott MN, Kanouse DE, Eastman KL, Zhou AJ, Klein DJ.Evaluation of Talking Parents, Healthy Teens, a new worksite based parenting programme to promote parent-adolescent communication about sexual health: randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2008;337:a308.
- Murphy DA, Greenwell L, Resell J, Brecht ML, Schuster MA.Early and middle adolescents' autonomy development: impact of maternal HIV/AIDS.Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2008 Apr;13(2):253-76.
- Inkelas M, Newacheck PW, Olson LM, Zuckerman B, Schuster MA.Does having a regular primary care clinician improve quality of preventive care for young children?.Med Care. 2008 Mar;46(3):323-30.
- Martino SC, Elliott MN, Corona R, Kanouse DE, Schuster MA.Beyond the "big talk": the roles of breadth and repetition in parent-adolescent communication about sexual topics.Pediatrics. 2008 Mar;121(3):e612-8.
- Bogart LM, Cowgill BO, Kennedy D, Ryan G, Murphy DA, Elijah J, Schuster MA.HIV-related stigma among people with HIV and their families: a qualitative analysis.AIDS Behav. 2008 Mar;12(2):244-54.
- Wang CJ, Elliott MN, McGlynn EA, Brook RH, Schuster MA.Population-based assessments of ophthalmologic and audiologic follow-up in children with very low birth weight enrolled in Medicaid: a quality-of-care study.Pediatrics. 2008 Feb;121(2):e278-85.
- Mangione-Smith R, DeCristofaro AH, Setodji CM, Keesey J, Klein DJ, Adams JL, Schuster MA, McGlynn EA.The quality of ambulatory care delivered to children in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2007 Oct 11;357(15):1515-23.
- Cowgill BO, Beckett MK, Corona R, Elliott MN, Zhou AJ, Schuster MA.Children of HIV-infected parents: custody status in a nationally representative sample.Pediatrics. 2007 Sep;120(3):e494-503.
- Chung PJ, Travis R, Kilpatrick SD, Elliott MN, Lui C, Khandwala SB, Dancel TM, Vollandt L, Schuster MA.Acculturation and parent-adolescent communication about sex in Filipino-American families: a community-based participatory research study.J Adolesc Health. 2007 Jun;40(6):543-50.
- Chung PJ, Garfield CF, Elliott MN, Carey C, Eriksson C, Schuster MA.Need for and use of family leave among parents of children with special health care needs.Pediatrics. 2007 May;119(5):e1047-55.
- Cowgill BO, Beckett MK, Corona R, Elliott MN, Parra MT, Zhou AJ, Schuster MA.Guardianship planning among HIV-infected parents in the United States: results from a nationally representative sample.Pediatrics. 2007 Feb;119(2):e391-8.
- Allen ML, Elliott MN, Morales LS, Diamant AL, Hambarsoomian K, Schuster MA.Adolescent participation in preventive health behaviors, physical activity, and nutrition: differences across immigrant generations for Asians and Latinos compared with Whites.Am J Public Health. 2007 Feb;97(2):337-43.
- Cohen DA, Taylor SL, Zonta M, Vestal KD, Schuster MA.Availability of high school extracurricular sports programs and high-risk behaviors.J Sch Health. 2007 Feb;77(2):80-6.
- Gilliland MJ, Windle M, Grunbaum JA, Yancey A, Hoelscher D, Tortolero SR, Schuster MA.Body image and children's mental health related behaviors: results from the healthy passages study.J Pediatr Psychol.;32(1):30-41.
- Meckler GD, Elliott MN, Kanouse DE, Beals KP, Schuster MA.Nondisclosure of sexual orientation to a physician among a sample of gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006 Dec;160(12):1248-54.
- Murphy DA, Greenwell L, Mouttapa M, Brecht ML, Schuster MA.Physical health of mothers with HIV/AIDS and the mental health of their children.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2006 Oct;27(5):386-95.
- Eastman KL, Corona R, Schuster MA.Talking parents, healthy teens: a worksite-based program for parents to promote adolescent sexual health.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2006 Oct;3(4):A126.
- Wang CJ, McGlynn EA, Brook RH, Leonard CH, Piecuch RE, Hsueh SI, Schuster MA.Quality-of-care indicators for the neurodevelopmental follow-up of very low birth weight children: results of an expert panel process.Pediatrics. 2006 Jun;117(6):2080-92. Review.
- Corona R, Beckett MK, Cowgill BO, Elliott MN, Murphy DA, Zhou AJ, Schuster MA.Do children know their parent's HIV status? Parental reports of child awareness in a nationally representative sample.Ambul Pediatr.;6(3):138-44.
- Chung PJ, Lee TC, Morrison JL, Schuster MA.Preventive care for children in the United States: quality and barriers.Annu Rev Public Health. 2006;27:491-515. Review.
- Schuster MA, McGlynn EA, Brook RH.How good is the quality of health care in the United States? 1998.Milbank Q. 2005;83(4):843-95.
- Schuster MA, Collins R, Cunningham WE, Morton SC, Zierler S, Wong M, Tu W, Kanouse DE.Perceived discrimination in clinical care in a nationally representative sample of HIV-infected adults receiving health care.J Gen Intern Med. 2005 Sep;20(9):807-13.
- Eastman KL, Corona R, Ryan GW, Warsofsky AL, Schuster MA.Worksite-based parenting programs to promote healthy adolescent sexual development: a qualitative study of feasibility and potential content.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2005 Jun;37(2):62-9.
- Raghavan R, Zima BT, Andersen RM, Leibowitz AA, Schuster MA, Landsverk J.Psychotropic medication use in a national probability sample of children in the child welfare system.J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2005 Feb;15(1):97-106.
- Schuster MA, Beckett MK, Corona R, Zhou AJ.Hugs and kisses: HIV-infected parents' fears about contagion and the effects on parent-child interaction in a nationally representative sample.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005 Feb;159(2):173-9.
- Raghavan R, Bogart LM, Elliott MN, Vestal KD, Schuster MA.Sexual victimization among a national probability sample of adolescent women.Perspect Sex Reprod Health.;36(6):225-32.
- Chung PJ, Borneo H, Kilpatrick SD, Lopez DM, Travis R, Lui C, Khandwala S, Schuster MA.Parent-adolescent communication about sex in Filipino American families: a demonstration of community-based participatory research.Ambul Pediatr.;5(1):50-5.
- Chung PJ, Schuster MA.Access and quality in child health services: voltage drops.Health Aff (Millwood).;23(5):77-87.
- Stein BD, Elliott MN, Jaycox LH, Collins RL, Berry SH, Klein DJ, Schuster MA.A national longitudinal study of the psychological consequences of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks: reactions, impairment, and help-seeking.Psychiatry. 2004;67(2):105-17.
- Windle M, Grunbaum JA, Elliott M, Tortolero SR, Berry S, Gilliland J, Kanouse DE, Parcel GS, Wallander J, Kelder S, Collins J, Kolbe L, Schuster M.Healthy passages. A multilevel, multimethod longitudinal study of adolescent health.Am J Prev Med. 2004 Aug;27(2):164-72.
- Olson LM, Inkelas M, Halfon N, Schuster MA, O'Connor KG, Mistry R.Overview of the content of health supervision for young children: reports from parents and pediatricians.Pediatrics. 2004 Jun;113(6 Suppl):1907-16.
- Kogan MD, Schuster MA, Yu SM, Park CH, Olson LM, Inkelas M, Bethell C, Chung PJ, Halfon N.Routine assessment of family and community health risks: parent views and what they receive.Pediatrics. 2004 Jun;113(6 Suppl):1934-43.
- Inkelas M, Schuster MA, Olson LM, Park CH, Halfon N.Continuity of primary care clinician in early childhood.Pediatrics. 2004 Jun;113(6 Suppl):1917-25.
- Juvonen J, Graham S, Schuster MA.Bullying among young adolescents: the strong, the weak, and the troubled.Pediatrics. 2003 Dec;112(6 Pt 1):1231-7.
- Derose SF, Asch SM, Fielding JE, Schuster MA.Developing quality indicators for local health departments: experience in Los Angeles County.Am J Prev Med. 2003 Nov;25(4):347-57.
- Cohen DA, Farley TA, Taylor SN, Martin DH, Schuster MA.When and where do youths have sex? The potential role of adult supervision.Pediatrics. 2002 Dec;110(6):e66.
- Yu SM, Bellamy HA, Kogan MD, Dunbar JL, Schwalberg RH, Schuster MA.Factors that influence receipt of recommended preventive pediatric health and dental care.Pediatrics. 2002 Dec;110(6):e73.
- Schuster MA, Franke T, Pham CB.Smoking patterns of household members and visitors in homes with children in the United States.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2002 Nov;156(11):1094-100.
- Malin JL, Schuster MA, Kahn KA, Brook RH.Quality of breast cancer care: what do we know?.J Clin Oncol. 2002 Nov 1;20(21):4381-93.
- Derose SF, Schuster MA, Fielding JE, Asch SM.Public health quality measurement: concepts and challenges.Annu Rev Public Health. 2002;23:1-21.