Karen M. Emmons, PhD
- Klosky J, Hum AM, Zhang N, Ali KS, Srivastava D, Klesges RC, Emmons KM, Ness K, Stovall M, Robison LL, Hudson MM.Smokeless and Dual Tobacco Use among Males Surviving Childhood Cancer: A report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013 Apr 11.
- Ruddy KJ, Meyer ME, Giobbie-Hurder A, Emmons KM, Weeks JC, Winer EP, Partridge AH.Long-Term Risk Perceptions of Women With Ductal Carcinoma In Situ.Oncologist. 2013 Apr 8.
- Schroy PC, Emmons KM, Peters E, Glick JT, Robinson PA, Lydotes MA, Mylvaganam SR, Coe AM, Chen CA, Chaisson CE, Pignone MP, Prout MN, Davidson PK, Heeren TC.Aid-assisted decision making and colorectal cancer screening: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Prev Med. 2012 Dec;43(6):573-83.
- Kontos EZ, Emmons KM, Puleo E, Viswanath K.Contribution of communication inequalities to disparities in human papillomavirus vaccine awareness and knowledge.Am J Public Health. 2012 Oct;102(10):1911-20.
- Bober SL, Giobbie-Hurder A, Emmons KM, Winer E, Partridge A.Psychosexual Functioning and Body Image Following a Diagnosis of Ductal Carcinoma In Situ.The Journal Of Sexual Medicine. 2012 Jul 19.
- Greaney ML, Puleo E, Sprunck-Harrild K, Bennett GG, Cunningham MA, Gillman MW, Coeling M, Emmons KM.Electronic reminders for cancer prevention: factors associated with preference for automated voice reminders or text messages.Prev Med. 2012 Aug;55(2):151-4.
- Greaney ML, Puleo E, Geller AC, Hu SW, Werchniak AE, DeCristofaro S, Emmons KM.Patient follow-up after participating in a beach-based skin cancer screening program.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012 May;9(5):1836-45.
- Lasser KE, Murillo J, Lisboa S, Casimir AN, Valley-Shah L, Emmons KM, Fletcher RH, Ayanian JZ.Colorectal cancer screening among ethnically diverse, low-income patients: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Intern Med. 2011 May 23;171(10):906-12.
- Emmons KM, Geller AC, Puleo E, Savadatti SS, Hu SW, Gorham S, Werchniak AE, .Skin cancer education and early detection at the beach: a randomized trial of dermatologist examination and biometric feedback.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 Feb;64(2):282-9.
- Cooley ME, Emmons KM, Haddad R, Wang Q, Posner M, Bueno R, Cohen TJ, Johnson BE.Patient-reported receipt of and interest in smoking-cessation interventions after a diagnosis of cancer.Cancer. 2011 Jan 10.
- Lobb R, Ayanian JZ, Allen JD, Emmons KM.Stage of breast cancer at diagnosis among low-income women with access to mammography.Cancer. 2010 Dec 1;116(23):5487-96.
- De Jesus M, Puleo E, Shelton RC, McNeill LH, Emmons KM.Factors Associated with Colorectal Cancer Screening among a Low-Income, Multiethnic, Highly Insured Population: Does Provider's Understanding of the Patient's Social Context Matter?.J Urban Health. 2010 Mar;87(2):236-43.
- Lobb R, Allen JD, Emmons KM, Ayanian JZ.Timely Care After an Abnormal Mammogram Among Low-Income Women in a Public Breast Cancer Screening Program.Arch Intern Med. 2010 Mar 22;170(6):521-8.
- Shelton RC,Puleo E,Syngal S,Emmons KM.Multivitamin use among multi-ethnic, low-income adults.Cancer Causes Control. 2009 Oct;20(8):1271-80.
- Koh HK, Oppenheimer SC, Massin-Short SB, Emmons KM, Geller AC, Viswanath K.Translating research evidence into practice to reduce health disparities: a social determinants approach.Am J Public Health. 2010 Apr 1;100 Suppl 1:S72-80.
- de Moor JS, Partridge AH, Winer EP, Ligibel J, Emmons KM.The role of socioeconomic status in adjustment after ductal carcinoma in situ.Cancer. 2010 Mar 1;116(5):1218-25.
- Ruger JP, Emmons KM, Kearney MH, Weinstein MC.Measuring the costs of outreach motivational interviewing for smoking cessation and relapse prevention among low-income pregnant women.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2009;9:46.
- McNeill LH, Coeling M, Puleo E, Suarez EG, Bennett GG, Emmons KM.Colorectal cancer prevention for low-income, sociodemographically-diverse adults in public housing: baseline findings of a randomized controlled trial.BMC Public Health. 2009;9:353.
- Lasser KE,Murillo J,Medlin E,Lisboa S,Valley-Shah L,Fletcher RH,Emmons KM,Ayanian JZ.A Multilevel Intervention to Promote Colorectal Cancer Screening among Community Health Center Patients: Results of a Pilot Study.BMC Fam Pract. 2009 May 29;10(1):37.
- Bowen DJ, Sorensen G, Weiner BJ, Campbell M, Emmons K, Melvin C.Dissemination research in cancer control: where are we and where should we go?.Cancer Causes Control. 2009 May;20(4):473-85.
- Waters EA, Weinstein ND, Colditz GA, Emmons K.Explanations for side effect aversion in preventive medical treatment decisions.Health Psychol. 2009 Mar;28(2):201-9.
- Nathan PC,Ford JS,Henderson TO,Hudson MM,Emmons KM,Casillas JN,Lown EA,Ness KK,Oeffinger KC.Health behaviors, medical care, and interventions to promote healthy living in the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study cohort.J Clin Oncol. 2009 May 10;27(14):2363-73. Review.
- Emmons KM,Lobb R,Puleo E,Bennett G,Stoffel E,Syngal S.Colorectal cancer screening: prevalence among low-income groups with health insurance.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009 Jan-Feb;28(1):169-77.
- Stryker JE,Fishman J,Emmons KM,Viswanath K.Cancer risk communication in mainstream and ethnic newspapers.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2009 Jan;6(1):A23.
- Emmons KM,Puleo E,Mertens A,Gritz ER,Diller L,Li FP.Long-term smoking cessation outcomes among childhood cancer survivors in the Partnership for Health Study.J Clin Oncol. 2009 Jan 1;27(1):52-60.
- Goldman RE, Barbeau E, Hunt MK, Acevedo-Garcia D, Emmons KM, Gagne J, Sorensen G.Perceptions of Health Promotion and Cancer Prevention Among Adults in Working-Class Occupations and Neighborhoods.Health Educ Behav. 2008 Dec;35(6):777-90.
- Ligibel JA,Partridge A,Giobbie-Hurder A,Golshan M,Emmons K,Winer EP.Physical activity behaviors in women with newly diagnosed ductal carcinoma-in-situ.Ann Surg Oncol. 2009 Jan;16(1):106-12.
- Emmons KM,Geller AC,Viswanath V,Rutsch L,Zwirn J,Gorham S,Puleo E.The SunWise Policy intervention for school-based sun protection: a pilot study.J Sch Nurs. 2008 Aug;24(4):215-21.
- Emmons KM,Viswanath K,Colditz GA.The role of transdisciplinary collaboration in translating and disseminating health research: lessons learned and exemplars of success.Am J Prev Med. 2008 Aug;35(2 Suppl):S204-10.
- de Moor JS,Elder K,Emmons KM.Smoking prevention and cessation interventions for cancer survivors.Semin Oncol Nurs. 2008 Aug;24(3):180-92. Review.
- Partridge A,Winer JP,Golshan M,Bellon JR,Blood E,Dees EC,Sampson E,Emmons KM,Winer E.Perceptions and management approaches of physicians who care for women with ductal carcinoma in situ.Clin Breast Cancer. 2008 Jun;8(3):275-80.
- Bennett GG, Wolin KY, Okechukwu CA, Arthur CM, Askew S, Sorensen G, Emmons KM.Nativity and Cigarette Smoking among Lower Income Blacks: Results from the Healthy Directions Study.J Immigr Minor Health. 2008 Aug;10(4):305-11.
- Cuite CL, Weinstein ND, Emmons K, Colditz G.A test of numeric formats for communicating risk probabilities.Med Decis Making.;28(3):377-84.
- Emmons K,Puleo E,McNeill LH,Bennett G,Chan S,Syngal S.Colorectal cancer screening awareness and intentions among low income, sociodemographically diverse adults under age 50.Cancer Causes Control. 2008 Dec;19(10):1031-41.
- Wolin KY,Bennett GG,McNeill LH,Sorensen G,Emmons KM.Low discretionary time as a barrier to physical activity and intervention uptake.Am J Health Behav. 2008 Nov-Dec;32(6):563-9.
- Geller AC, Zwirn J, Rutsch L, Gorham SA, Viswanath V, Emmons KM.Multiple levels of influence in the adoption of sun protection policies in elementary schools in Massachusetts.Arch Dermatol. 2008 Apr;144(4):491-6.
- Ruger JP, Emmons KM.Economic Evaluations of Smoking Cessation and Relapse Prevention Programs for Pregnant Women: A Systematic Review.Value Health.;11(2):180-90. Review.
- Colditz GA, Emmons KM, Vishwanath K, Kerner JF.Translating science to practice: community and academic perspectives.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2008 Mar-Apr;14(2):144-9.
- Prokhorov AV, Yost T, Mullin-Jones M, de Moor C, Ford KH, Marani S, Kilfoy BA, Hein JP, Hudmon KS, Emmons KM."Look At Your Health": Outcomes associated with a computer-assisted smoking cessation counseling intervention for community college students.Addict Behav. 2008 Jun;33(6):757-71.
- Partridge A, Adloff K, Blood E, Dees EC, Kaelin C, Golshan M, Ligibel J, de Moor JS, Weeks J, Emmons K, Winer E.Risk perceptions and psychosocial outcomes of women with ductal carcinoma in situ: longitudinal results from a cohort study.Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2008 Feb 20;100(4):243-51.
- Robinson LA, Emmons KM, Moolchan ET, Ostroff JS.Developing Smoking Cessation Programs for Chronically Ill Teens: Lessons Learned from Research with Healthy Adolescent Smokers.J Pediatr Psychol. 2008 Mar;33(2):133-44. Review.
- Altschuler A, Nekhlyudov L, Rolnick SJ, Greene SM, Elmore JG, West CN, Herrinton LJ, Harris EL, Fletcher SW, Emmons KM, Geiger AM.Positive, negative, and disparate--women's differing long-term psychosocial experiences of bilateral or contralateral prophylactic mastectomy.Breast J. 2008 Jan-Feb;14(1):25-32.
- Schroy PC 3rd, Glick JT, Robinson PA, Lydotes MA, Evans SR, Emmons KM.Has the surge in media attention increased public awareness about colorectal cancer and screening?.J Community Health. 2008 Feb;33(1):1-9.
- McBride CM, Puleo E, Pollak KI, Clipp EC, Woolford S, Emmons KM.Understanding the role of cancer worry in creating a "teachable moment" for multiple risk factor reduction.Soc Sci Med. 2008 Feb;66(3):790-800.
- Emmons KM, Burns White K, Benz EJ.Development of an integrated approach to cancer disparities: one cancer center's experience.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Nov;16(11):2186-92.
- Bennett GG, McNeill LH, Wolin KY, Duncan DT, Puleo E, Emmons KM.Safe to walk? Neighborhood safety and physical activity among public housing residents.PLoS Med.;4:1599-606.
- Ruger JP, Weinstein MC, Hammond SK, Kearney MH, Emmons KM.Cost-effectiveness of motivational interviewing for smoking cessation and relapse prevention among low-income pregnant women: a randomized controlled trial.Value Health. 2008 Mar-Apr;11(2):191-8.
- Palmer RC, Emmons KM, Fletcher RH, Lobb R, Miroshnik I, Kemp JA, Bauer M.Familial risk and colorectal cancer screening health beliefs and attitudes in an insured population.Prev Med. 2007 Nov;45(5):336-41.
- Waters EA, Weinstein ND, Colditz GA, Emmons KM.Aversion to side effects in preventive medical treatment decisions.Br J Health Psychol. 2007 Sep;12(Pt 3):383-401.
- Florin TA, Fryer GE, Miyoshi T, Weitzman M, Mertens AC, Hudson MM, Sklar CA, Emmons K, Hinkle A, Whitton J, Stovall M, Robison LL, Oeffinger KC.Physical inactivity in adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from the childhood cancer survivor study.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Jul;16(7):1356-63.
- Sorensen G, Stoddard AM, Dubowitz T, Barbeau EM, Bigby J, Emmons KM, Berkman LF, Peterson KE.The Influence of Social Context on Changes in Fruit and Vegetable Consumption: Results of the Healthy Directions Studies.Am J Public Health. 2007 Jul;97(7):1216-27.
- Bennett GG, Wolin KY, Askew S, Fletcher R, Emmons KM.Immigration and obesity among lower income blacks.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007 Jun;15(6):1391-4.
- Emmons KM, Barbeau EM, Gutheil C, Stryker JE, Stoddard AM.Social Influences, Social Context, and Health Behaviors Among Working-Class, Multi-Ethnic Adults.Health Educ Behav. 2007 Apr;34(2):315-34.
- Waters EA, Weinstein ND, Colditz GA, Emmons KM.Reducing aversion to side effects in preventive medical treatment decisions.J Exp Psychol Appl. 2007 Mar;13(1):11-21.
- Kaphingst KA, Lobb R, Fay ME, Hunt MK, Suarez EG, Fletcher RH, Emmons KM.Impact of intervention dose on cancer-related health behaviors among working-class, multiethnic, community health center patients.Am J Health Promot. 2007 Mar-Apr;21(4):262-6.
- Fletcher RH, Lobb R, Bauer MR, Kemp JA, Palmer RC, Kleinman KP, Miroshnik I, Emmons KM.Screening patients with a family history of colorectal cancer.J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Apr;22(4):508-13.
- DePue JD, McCabe B, Kazura A, Becker B, Papandonatos GD, Chun T, Emmons K.Assessment of parents' smoking behaviors at a pediatric emergency department.Nicotine Tob Res. 2007 Jan;9(1):33-41.
- de Moor JS, Puleo E, Butterfield RM, Li FP, Emmons KM.Availability of smoking prevention and cessation services for childhood cancer survivors.Cancer Causes Control. 2007 May;18(4):423-30.
- Geiger AM, Nekhlyudov L, Herrinton LJ, Rolnick SJ, Greene SM, West CN, Harris EL, Elmore JG, Altschuler A, Liu IL, Fletcher SW, Emmons KM.Quality of Life After Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2007 Feb;14(2):686-94.
- Stryker JE, Emmons KM, Viswanath K.Un-covering differences across the cancer control continuum: A comparison of ethnic and mainstream cancer newspaper stories.Prev Med. 2007 Jan;44(1):20-5.
- Glasgow RE, Emmons KM.How can we increase translation of research into practice? Types of evidence needed.Annu Rev Public Health. 2007;28:413-33. Review.
- Rigotti NA, Thorndike AN, Regan S, McKool K, Pasternak RC, Chang Y, Swartz S, Torres-Finnerty N, Emmons KM, Singer DE.Bupropion for smokers hospitalized with acute cardiovascular disease.Am J Med. 2006 Dec;119(12):1080-7.
- Geller AC, Emmons KM, Brooks DR, Powers C, Zhang Z, Koh HK, Heeren T, Sober AJ, Li F, Gilchrest BA.A randomized trial to improve early detection and prevention practices among siblings of melanoma patients.Cancer. 2006 Aug 15;107(4):806-14.
- Stryker JE, Wray RJ, Emmons KM, Winer E, Demetri G.Understanding the decisions of cancer clinical trial participants to enter research studies: Factors associated with informed consent, patient satisfaction, and decisional regret.Patient Educ Couns. 2006 Oct;63(1-2):104-9.
- Goodman M, Li Y, Bennett G, Emmons K, Stoddard S.An optimal evaluation of multiple behavioral risk factors for cancer in a working class, multi-ethnic population.J Data Science. 2006 Sep 01;In Press.
- Bennett GG, Wolin KY, Viswanath K, Askew S, Puleo E, Emmons KM.Television Viewing and Pedometer-Determined Physical Activity Among Multiethnic Residents of Low-Income Housing.Am J Public Health. 2006 Sep;96(9):1681-5.
- Bennett GG, Wolin KY, Avrunin JS, Stoddard AM, Sorensen G, Barbeau E, Emmons KM.Does race/ethnicity moderate the association between job strain and leisure time physical activity?.Ann Behav Med. 2006 Aug;32(1):60-7.
- Park ER, Puleo E, Butterfield RM, Zorn M, Mertens AC, Gritz ER, Li FP, Emmons KM.A process evaluation of a telephone-based peer-delivered smoking cessation intervention for adult survivors of childhood cancer: The partnership for health study.Prev Med. 2006 Jun;42(6):435-42.
- Bennett GG, Wolin KY, Puleo E, Emmons KM.Pedometer-determined physical activity among multiethnic low-income housing residents.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Apr;38(4):768-73.
- Kaphingst KA, Janoff JM, Harris LN, Emmons KM.Views of female breast cancer patients who donated biologic samples regarding storage and use of samples for genetic research.Clin Genet. 2006 May;69(5):393-8.
- Geiger AM, West CN, Nekhlyudov L, Herrinton LJ, Liu IL, Altschuler A, Rolnick SJ, Harris EL, Greene SM, Elmore JG, Emmons KM, Fletcher SW.Contentment with quality of life among breast cancer survivors with and without contralateral prophylactic mastectomy.J Clin Oncol. 2006 Mar 20;24(9):1350-6.
- Eliassen AH, Colditz GA, Peterson KE, Furtado JD, Fay ME, Sorensen G, Emmons KM.Biomarker validation of dietary intervention in two multiethnic populations.Prev Chronic Dis. 2006 Apr;3(2):A44.
- Waters EA, Weinstein ND, Colditz GA, Emmons K.Formats for improving risk communication in medical tradeoff decisions.J Health Commun. 2006 Mar;11(2):167-82.
- Wolin KY, Colditz G, Stoddard AM, Emmons KM, Sorensen G.Acculturation and physical activity in a working class multiethnic population.Prev Med. 2006 Apr;42(4):266-72.
- Digianni LM, Rue M, Emmons K, Garber JE.Complementary medicine use before and 1 year following genetic testing for BRCA1/2 mutations.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006 Jan;15(1):70-5.
- Kaphingst KA, Zanfini CJ, Emmons KM.Accessibility of web sites containing colorectal cancer information to adults with limited literacy (United States).Cancer Causes Control. 2006 Mar;17(2):147-51.
- Bennett GG, Wolin KY, Goodman M, Samplin-Salgado M, Carter P, Dutton S, Hill R, Emmons K.Attitudes Regarding Overweight, Exercise, and Health among Blacks (United States).Cancer Causes Control. 2006 Feb;17(1):95-101.
- Park ER, Li FP, Liu Y, Emmons KM, Ablin A, Robison LL, Mertens AC.Health insurance coverage in survivors of childhood cancer: the childhood cancer survivor study.J Clin Oncol. 2005 Dec 20;23(36):9187-97.
- Nekhlyudov L, Bower M, Herrinton LJ, Altschuler A, Greene SM, Rolnick S, Elmore JG, Harris EL, Liu A, Emmons KM, Fletcher SW, Geiger AM.Women's decision-making roles regarding contralateral prophylactic mastectomy.J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2005(35):55-60.
- West CN, Geiger AM, Greene SM, Harris EL, Liu IL, Barton MB, Elmore JG, Rolnick S, Nekhlyudov L, Altschuler A, Herrinton LJ, Fletcher SW, Emmons KM.Race and ethnicity: comparing medical records to self-reports.J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2005(35):72-4.
- Stoddard AM, Krieger N, Barbeau EM, Bennett GG, Fay ME, Sorensen G, Emmons K.Methods and baseline characteristics of two group-randomized trials with multiracial and multiethnic working-class samples.Prev Chronic Dis. 2005 Oct;2(4):A10.
- Lewis MA, McBride CM, Pollak KI, Puleo E, Butterfield RM, Emmons KM.Understanding health behavior change among couples: an interdependence and communal coping approach.Soc Sci Med. 2006 Mar;62(6):1369-80.
- Emmons KM, Puleo E, Park E, Gritz ER, Butterfield RM, Weeks JC, Mertens A, Li FP.Peer-delivered smoking counseling for childhood cancer survivors increases rate of cessation: the partnership for health study.J Clin Oncol. 2005 Sep 20;23(27):6516-23.
- Emmons KM, Stoddard AM, Fletcher R, Gutheil C, Gonzalez Suarez E, Lobb R, Weeks J, Bigby JA.Cancer prevention among working class, multi-ethnic adults: Results of the Healthy Directions Health Centers Study.Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. In press;In press:In press.
- Emmons KM, McBride CM, Puleo E, Pollak KI, Clipp E, Kuntz K, Marcus BH, Napolitano M, Onken J, Farraye F, Fletcher R.Project PREVENT: a randomized trial to reduce multiple behavioral risk factors for colon cancer.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005 Jun;14(6):1453-9.
- Emmons KM, Stoddard AM, Fletcher R, Gutheil C, Suarez EG, Lobb R, Weeks J, Bigby JA.Cancer prevention among working class, multiethnic adults: results of the healthy directions-health centers study.Am J Public Health. 2005 Jul;95(7):1200-5.
- Hammond SK, Emmons KM.Inmate exposure to secondhand smoke in correctional facilities and the impact of smoking restrictions.J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol. 2005 May;15(3):205-11.
- Krieger N, Emmons KM, White KB.Cancer disparities: developing a multidisciplinary research agenda - preface.Cancer Causes Control. 2005 Feb;16(1):1-3.
- Emmons KM, McBride CM, Puleo E, Pollak KI, Marcus BH, Napolitano M, Clipp E, Onken J, Farraye FA, Fletcher R.Prevalence and predictors of multiple behavioral risk factors for colon cancer.Prev Med. 2005 May;40(5):527-34.
- Lazovich D, Forster J, Sorensen G, Emmons K, Stryker J, Demierre MF, Hickle A, Remba N.Characteristics associated with use or intention to use indoor tanning among adolescents.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004 Sep;158(9):918-24.
- Emmons KM, Wong M, Puleo E, Weinstein N, Fletcher R, Colditz G.Tailored computer-based cancer risk communication: correcting colorectal cancer risk perception.J Health Commun. 2004 Mar-Apr;9(2):127-41.
- Lobb R, Gonzalez Suarez E, Fay ME, Gutheil CM, Hunt MK, Fletcher RH, Emmons KM.Implementation of a cancer prevention program for working class, multiethnic populations.Prev Med. 2004 Jun;38(6):766-76.
- Barton MB, Morley DS, Moore S, Allen JD, Kleinman KP, Emmons KM, Fletcher SW.Decreasing women's anxieties after abnormal mammograms: a controlled trial.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004 Apr 7;96(7):529-38.
- Balmaņa J, Stoffel EM, Emmons KM, Garber JE, Syngal S.Comparison of motivations and concerns for genetic testing in hereditary colorectal and breast cancer syndromes.J Med Genet. 2004 Apr;41(4):e44.
- Farraye FA, Wong M, Hurwitz S, Puleo E, Emmons K, Wallace MB, Fletcher RH.Barriers to endoscopic colorectal cancer screening: are women different from men?.Am J Gastroenterol. 2004 Feb;99(2):341-9.
- Clipp EC, Carver EH, Pollak KI, Puleo E, Emmons KM, Onken J, Farraye FA, McBride CM.Age-related vulnerabilities of older adults with colon adenomas: evidence from Project Prevent.Cancer. 2004 Mar 1;100(5):1085-94.
- Weinstein ND, Atwood K, Puleo E, Fletcher R, Colditz G, Emmons KM.Colon cancer: risk perceptions and risk communication.J Health Commun. 2004 Jan-Feb;9(1):53-65.
- Sorensen G, Barbeau E, Hunt MK, Emmons K.Reducing social disparities in tobacco use: a social-contextual model for reducing tobacco use among blue-collar workers.Am J Public Health. 2004 Feb;94(2):230-9.
- Yeazel MW, Oeffinger KC, Gurney JG, Mertens AC, Hudson MM, Emmons KM, Chen H, Robison LL.The cancer screening practices of adult survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.Cancer. 2004 Feb 1;100(3):631-40.
- Emmons KM, Stoddard AM, Gutheil C, Suarez EG, Lobb R, Fletcher R.Cancer prevention for working class, multi-ethnic populations through health centers: the healthy directions study.Cancer Causes Control. 2003 Oct;14(8):727-37.
- Goldman R, Hunt MK, Allen JD, Hauser S, Emmons K, Maeda M, Sorensen G.The life history interview method: applications to intervention development.Health Educ Behav. 2003 Oct;30(5):564-81.
- Geller AC, Emmons K, Brooks DR, Zhang Z, Powers C, Koh HK, Sober AJ, Miller DR, Li F, Haluska F, Gilchrest BA.Skin cancer prevention and detection practices among siblings of patients with melanoma.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003 Oct;49(4):631-8.
- Prokhorov AV, Warneke C, de Moor C, Emmons KM, Mullin Jones M, Rosenblum C, Suchanek Hudmon K, Gritz ER.Self-reported health status, health vulnerability, and smoking behavior in college students: implications for intervention.Nicotine Tob Res. 2003 Aug;5(4):545-52.
- Sorensen G, Emmons K, Hunt MK, Barbeau E, Goldman R, Peterson K, Kuntz K, Stoddard A, Berkman L.Model for incorporating social context in health behavior interventions: applications for cancer prevention for working-class, multiethnic populations.Prev Med. 2003 Sep;37(3):188-97.
- Sorensen G, Stoddard AM, LaMontagne AD, Emmons K, Hunt MK, Youngstrom R, McLellan D, Christiani DC.A comprehensive worksite cancer prevention intervention: behavior change results from a randomized controlled trial (United States).J Public Health Policy. 2003;24(1):5-25.
- McBride CM, Emmons KM, Lipkus IM.Understanding the potential of teachable moments: the case of smoking cessation.Health Educ Res. 2003 Apr;18(2):156-70.
- DiGianni LM, Kim HT, Emmons K, Gelman R, Kalkbrenner KJ, Garber JE.Complementary medicine use among women enrolled in a genetic testing program.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Apr;12(4):321-6.
- Emmons KM, Li F, Whitton J, Diller L, Mertens A, Robinson L.Predictors of smoking initiation and cessation among childhood cancer survivors: The childhood cancer survivor study.Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2002 Mar 15;20:1608-16.
- Abroms L, Jorgensen CM, Southwell BG, Geller AC, Emmons KM.Gender differences in young adults' beliefs about sunscreen use.Health Educ Behav. 2003 Feb;30(1):29-43.
- Fairfield KM, Emmons KM, Rigotti NA, Colditz GA.Use of a computerized risk-appraisal instrument for cancer prevention education of medical students.J Cancer Educ. 2002 Winter;17(4):183-5.
- Park EB, Emmons KM, Malloy NW, Seifer E.A qualitative exploration of health perceptions and behaviors among adult survivors of childhood cancers.J Cancer Educ. 2002 Winter;17(4):211-5.
- Emmons KM, Butterfield RM, Puleo E, Park ER, Mertens A, Gritz ER, Lahti M, Li FP.Smoking among participants in the childhood cancer survivors cohort: the Partnership for Health Study.J Clin Oncol. 2003 Jan 15;21(2):189-96.
- Hitsman B, Abrams DB, Shadel WG, Niaura R, Borrelli B, Emmons KM, Brown RA, Swift RM, Monti PM, Rohsenow DJ, Colby SM.Depressive symptoms and readiness to quit smoking among cigarette smokers in outpatient alcohol treatment.Psychol Addict Behav. 2002 Sep;16(3):264-8.
- Sorensen G, Stoddard AM, LaMontagne AD, Emmons K, Hunt MK, Youngstrom R, McLellan D, Christiani DC.A comprehensive worksite cancer prevention intervention: behavior change results from a randomized controlled trial (United States).Cancer Causes Control. 2002 Aug;13(6):493-502.
- Johnson JL, Fava JL, Velicer WF, Monroe AD, Emmons K.Testing stage effects in an ethnically diverse sample.Addict Behav. 2002 Jul-Aug;27(4):605-17.
- Linnan LA, Emmons KM, Klar N, Fava JL, LaForge RG, Abrams DB.Challenges to improving the impact of worksite cancer prevention programs: comparing reach, enrollment, and attrition using active versus passive recruitment strategies.Ann Behav Med. 2002 Spring;24(2):157-66.
- Geller AC, Colditz G, Oliveria S, Emmons K, Jorgensen C, Aweh GN, Frazier AL.Use of sunscreen, sunburning rates, and tanning bed use among more than 10 000 US children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 2002 Jun;109(6):1009-14.
- Emmons K, Li FP, Whitton J, Mertens AC, Hutchinson R, Diller L, Robison LL.Predictors of smoking initiation and cessation among childhood cancer survivors: a report from the childhood cancer survivor study.J Clin Oncol. 2002 Mar 15;20(6):1608-16.
- Sorensen G, Emmons K, Stoddard AM, Linnan L, Avrunin J.Do social influences contribute to occupational differences in quitting smoking and attitudes toward quitting?.Am J Health Promot. 2002 Jan-Feb;16(3):135-41.
- Linnan LA, Emmons KM, Abrams DB.Beauty and the beast: results of the Rhode Island smokefree shop initiative.Am J Public Health. 2002 Jan;92(1):27-8.
- Borrelli B, Hecht JP, Papandonatos GD, Emmons KM, Tatewosian LR, Abrams DB.Smoking-cessation counseling in the home. Attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors of home healthcare nurses.Am J Prev Med. 2001 Nov;21(4):272-7.
- Linnan LA, Sorensen G, Colditz G, Klar DN, Emmons KM.Using theory to understand the multiple determinants of low participation in worksite health promotion programs.Health Educ Behav. 2001 Oct;28(5):591-607.
- Cargill BR, Emmons KM, Kahler CW, Brown RA.Relationship among alcohol use, depression, smoking behavior, and motivation to quit smoking with hospitalized smokers.Psychol Addict Behav. 2001 Sep;15(3):272-5.
- Barbeau EM, Li YI, Sorensen G, Conlan KM, Youngstrom R, Emmons K.Coverage of smoking cessation treatment by union health and welfare funds.Am J Public Health. 2001 Sep;91(9):1412-5.
- West SG, Stoney CM, Hughes JW, Matacin M, Emmons KM.Oral contraceptive use is associated with increased cardiovascular reactivity in nonsmokers.Ann Behav Med. 2001 Summer;23(3):149-57.
- Hunt MK, Lobb R, Delichatsios HK, Stone C, Emmons K, Gillman MW.Process evaluation of a clinical preventive nutrition intervention.Prev Med. 2001 Aug;33(2 Pt 1):82-90.
- Delichatsios HK, Hunt MK, Lobb R, Emmons K, Gillman MW.EatSmart: efficacy of a multifaceted preventive nutrition intervention in clinical practice.Prev Med. 2001 Aug;33(2 Pt 1):91-8.
- Emmons KM, Hammond SK, Fava JL, Velicer WF, Evans JL, Monroe AD.A randomized trial to reduce passive smoke exposure in low-income households with young children.Pediatrics. 2001 Jul;108(1):18-24.
- Emmons KM, Wong M, Hammond SK, Velicer WF, Fava JL, Monroe AD, Evans JL.Intervention and policy issues related to children's exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.Prev Med. 2001 Apr;32(4):321-31.
- Emmons KM, Goldstein MG, Roberts M, Cargill B, Sherman CB, Millman R, Brown R, Abrams DB.The use of nicotine replacement therapy during hospitalization.Ann Behav Med. 2000 Fall;22(4):325-9.
- Emmons K.Commentary ... realignment of the nation's tobacco agenda.Prev Med. 2001 Feb;32(2):93-4.
- Sorensen G, Stoddard AM, Youngstrom R, Emmons K, Barbeau E, Khorasanizadeh F, Levenstein C.Local labor unions' positions on worksite tobacco control.Am J Public Health. 2000 Apr;90(4):618-20.
- Emmons KM, Rollnick S.Motivational interviewing in health care settings. Opportunities and limitations.Am J Prev Med. 2001 Jan;20(1):68-74.
- Abrams DB, Herzog TA, Emmons KM, Linnan L.Stages of change versus addiction: a replication and extension.Nicotine Tob Res. 2000 Aug;2(3):223-9.
- Emmons KM, Sorensen G, Klar N, Digianni L, Barclay G, Schmidt K, Hammond SK.Healthy baby second-hand smoke study: project brief.Tob Control. 2000;9 Suppl 3:III58-60.
- Hovell MF, Zakarian JM, Wahlgren DR, Matt GE, Emmons KM.Reported measures of environmental tobacco smoke exposure: trials and tribulations.Tob Control. 2000;9 Suppl 3:III22-8.
- Velasquez MM, Hecht J, Quinn VP, Emmons KM, DiClemente CC, Dolan-Mullen P.Application of motivational interviewing to prenatal smoking cessation: training and implementation issues.Tob Control. 2000;9 Suppl 3:III36-40.
- Emmons KM, Koch-Weser S, Atwood K, Conboy L, Rudd R, Colditz G.A qualitative evaluation of the Harvard Cancer Risk Index.J Health Commun. 1999 Jul-Sep;4(3):181-93.
- Emmons KM, Thompson B, McLerran D, Sorensen G, Linnan L, Basen-Enquist K, Biener L.The relationship between organizational characteristics and the adoption of workplace smoking policies.Health Educ Behav. 2000 Aug;27(4):483-501.
- Colditz GA, Atwood KA, Emmons K, Monson RR, Willett WC, Trichopoulos D, Hunter DJ.Harvard report on cancer prevention volume 4: Harvard Cancer Risk Index. Risk Index Working Group, Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention.Cancer Causes Control. 2000 Jul;11(6):477-88.
- Emmons KM, Kalkbrenner KJ, Klar N, Light T, Schneider KA, Garber JE.Behavioral risk factors among women presenting for genetic testing.Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 2000 Jun;9(1):141-156.
- Emmons KM.A research agenda for tobacco control.Cancer Causes Control. 2000 Feb;11(2):193-4.
- Ockene JK, Emmons KM, Mermelstein RJ, Perkins KA, Bonollo DS, Voorhees CC, Hollis JF.Relapse and maintenance issues for smoking cessation.Health Psychol. 2000 Jan;19(1 Suppl):17-31.
- Emmons KM, Kalkbrenner KJ, Klar N, Light T, Schneider KA, Garber JE.Behavioral risk factors among women presenting for genetic testing.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2000 Jan;9(1):89-94.
- Emmons KM, Linnan LA, Shadel WG, Marcus B, Abrams DB.The Working Healthy Project: a worksite health-promotion trial targeting physical activity, diet, and smoking.J Occup Environ Med. 1999 Jul;41(7):545-55.
- Sorensen G, Emmons K, Hunt MK, Johnston D.Implications of the results of community intervention trials.Annu Rev Public Health. 1998;19:379-416.
- Macario E, Emmons KM, Sorensen G, Hunt MK, Rudd RE.Factors influencing nutrition education for patients with low literacy skills.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998 May;98(5):559-64.
- Emmons KM, Wechsler H, Dowdall G, Abraham M.Predictors of smoking among US college students.Am J Public Health. 1998 Jan;88(1):104-7.
- Marcus BH, Emmons KM, Simkin-Silverman LR, Linnan LA, Taylor ER, Bock BC, Roberts MB, Rossi JS, Abrams DB.Evaluation of motivationally tailored vs. standard self-help physical activity interventions at the workplace.Am J Health Promot. 1998 Mar-Apr;12(4):246-53.
- King TK, Marcus BH, Pinto BM, Emmons KM, Abrams DB.Cognitive-behavioral mediators of changing multiple behaviors: smoking and a sedentary lifestyle.Prev Med. 1996 Nov-Dec;25(6):684-91.
- Prokhorov AV, Emmons KM, Pallonen UE, Tsoh JY.Respiratory response to cigarette smoking among adolescent smokers: a pilot study.Prev Med. 1996 Sep-Oct;25(5):633-40.
- Emmons KM, Marcus BH, Abrams DB, Marshall R, Novotny TE, Kane ME, Etzel RA.Use of a 24-hour recall diary to assess exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.Arch Environ Health. 1996 Mar-Apr;51(2):146-9.
- Velicer WF, Fava JL, Prochaska JO, Abrams DB, Emmons KM, Pierce JP.Distribution of smokers by stage in three representative samples.Prev Med. 1995 Jul;24(4):401-11.
- Emmons KM, Thompson B, Feng Z, Hebert JR, Heimendinger J, Linnan L.Dietary intake and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke in a worksite population.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1995 May;49(5):336-45.
- Emmons KM, Hammond SK, Abrams DB.Smoking at home: the impact of smoking cessation on nonsmokers' exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.Health Psychol. 1994 Nov;13(6):516-20.
- Emmons KM, Goldstein MG.Smokers who are hospitalized: a window of opportunity for cessation interventions.Prev Med. 1992 Mar;21(2):262-9.
- Emmons KM, Weidner G, Foster WM, Collins RL.Improvement in pulmonary function following smoking cessation.Addict Behav. 1992;17(4):301-6.
- Marcus BH, Emmons KM, Abrams DB, Marshall RJ, Kane M, Novotny TE, Etzel RA.Restrictive workplace smoking policies: impact on nonsmokers' tobacco exposure.J Public Health Policy. 1992 Spring;13(1):42-51.
- Collins RL, Lapp WM, Emmons KM, Isaac LM.Endorsement and strength of alcohol expectancies.J Stud Alcohol. 1990 Jul;51(4):336-42.
- Emmons KM, Weidner G, Collins RL.Smoking cessation and cardiovascular reactivity to stress.J Behav Med. 1989 Dec;12(6):587-98.
- Emmons KM, Weidner G.The effects of cognitive and physical stress on cardiovascular reactivity among smokers and oral contraceptive users.Psychophysiology. 1988 Mar;25(2):166-71.