Susan D. Block, MD
- Lamas DJ, Owens RL, Bernacki RE, Block SD.Palliative care: a core competency for intensive care unit doctors.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014 Jun 15;189(12):1569.
- Block SD, Billings JA.A need for scalable outpatient palliative care interventions.Lancet. 2014 Feb 18.
- Bernacki RE, Block SD.Serious illness communications checklist.Virtual Mentor. 2013 Dec;15(12):1045-9.
- Billings JA, Block SD.The demise of the liverpool care pathway? A cautionary tale for palliative care.J Palliat Med. 2013 Dec;16(12):1492-5.
- Mougalian SS, Lessen DS, Levine RL, Panagopoulos G, Von Roenn JH, Arnold RM, Block SD, Buss MK.Palliative care training and associations with burnout in oncology fellows.J Support Oncol. 2013 Jun;11(2):95-102.
- Stuver SO, Isaac T, Weeks JC, Block S, Berry DL, Davis RB, Weingart SN.Factors associated with pain among ambulatory patients with cancer with advanced disease at a comprehensive cancer center.J Oncol Pract. 2012 Jul;8(4):e17-23.
- Zhu J, Davis RB, Stuver SO, Berry DL, Block S, Weeks JC, Weingart SN.A longitudinal study of pain variability and its correlates in ambulatory patients with advanced stage cancer.Cancer. 2012 Jun 6.
- Weingart SN, Cleary A, Stuver SO, Lynch M, Brandoff D, Schaefer KG, Zhu J, Berry DL, Block S, Weeks JC.Assessing the quality of pain care in ambulatory patients with advanced stage cancer.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 Jun;43(6):1072-81.
- Buss MK, Lessen DS, Sullivan AM, Von Roenn J, Arnold RM, Block SD.Hematology/oncology fellows' training in palliative care: Results of a national survey.Cancer. 2011 Mar 1.
- Alexander SC, Sullivan AM, Back AL, Tulsky JA, Goldman RE, Block SD, Stewart SK, Wilson-Genderson M, Lee SJ.Information giving and receiving in hematological malignancy consultations.Psycho Oncology. 2011 Feb 4.
- Balboni MJ, Babar A, Dillinger J, Phelps AC, George E, Block SD, Kachnic L, Hunt J, Peteet J, Prigerson HG, Vanderweele TJ, Balboni TA."It Depends": Viewpoints of Patients, Physicians, and Nurses on Patient-Practitioner Prayer in the Setting of Advanced Cancer.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011 Jan 27.
- Jacobsen JC, Zhang B, Block SD, Maciejewski PK, Prigerson HG.Distinguishing Symptoms of Grief and Depression in a Cohort of Advanced Cancer Patients.Death Stud. 2010 Mar;34(3):257-273.
- Wright AA, Keating NL, Balboni TA, Matulonis UA, Block SD, Prigerson HG.Place of death: correlations with quality of life of patients with cancer and predictors of bereaved caregivers' mental health.J Clin Oncol. 2010 Oct 10;28(29):4457-64.
- Wright AA, Mack JW, Kritek PA, Balboni TA, Massaro AF, Matulonis UA, Block SD, Prigerson HG.Influence of patients' preferences and treatment site on cancer patients' end-of-life care.Cancer. 2010 Oct 1;116(19):4656-63.
- Block SD.Diagnosis and treatment of depression in patients with advanced illness.Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc.;19(2):103-9.
- Smith AK, Schonberg MA, Fisher J, Pallin DJ, Block SD, Forrow L, McCarthy EP.Emergency department experiences of acutely symptomatic patients with terminal illness and their family caregivers.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010 Jun;39(6):972-81.
- Alcorn SR, Balboni MJ, Prigerson HG, Reynolds A, Phelps AC, Wright AA, Block SD, Peteet JR, Kachnic LA, Balboni TA."If God wanted me yesterday, I wouldn't be here today": religious and spiritual themes in patients' experiences of advanced cancer.J Palliat Med. 2010 May;13(5):581-8.
- Mack JW, Weeks JC, Wright AA, Block SD, Prigerson HG.End-of-life discussions, goal attainment, and distress at the end of life: predictors and outcomes of receipt of care consistent with preferences.J Clin Oncol. 2010 Mar 1;28(7):1203-8.
- Billings ME, Engelberg R, Curtis JR, Block S, Sullivan AM.Determinants of medical students' perceived preparation to perform end-of-life care, quality of end-of-life care education, and attitudes toward end-of-life care.J Palliat Med. 2010 Mar;13(3):319-26.
- Balboni TA, Paulk ME, Balboni MJ, Phelps AC, Loggers ET, Wright AA, Block SD, Lewis EF, Peteet JR, Prigerson HG.Provision of spiritual care to patients with advanced cancer: associations with medical care and quality of life near death.J Clin Oncol. 2010 Jan 20;28(3):445-52.
- Loggers ET, Maciejewski PK, Paulk E, Desanto-Madeya S, Nilsson M, Viswanath K, Wright AA, Balboni TA, Temel J, Stieglitz H, Block S, Prigerson HG.Racial Differences in Predictors of Intensive End-of-Life Care in Advanced Cancer Patients.J Clin Oncol. 2009 Nov 20;27(33):5559-64.
- Schaefer KG, Block SD.Physician communication with families in the ICU: evidence-based strategies for improvement.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2009 Dec;15(6):569-77. Review.
- Collins ME, Block SD, Arnold RM, Christakis NA.On the prospects for a blame-free medical culture.Soc Sci Med. 2009 Nov;69(9):1287-90.
- Collins ME, Block SD, Arnold RM, Christakis NA.Responsibility and reflection: understanding our responses to perceived errors. A response to Woodward, Lemer and Wu.Soc Sci Med. 2009 Nov;69(9):1294-5.
- Prigerson HG, Horowitz MJ, Jacobs SC, Parkes CM, Aslan M, Goodkin K, Raphael B, Marwit SJ, Wortman C, Neimeyer RA, Bonanno G, Block SD, Kissane D, Boelen P, Maercker A, Litz BT, Johnson JG, First MB, Maciejewski PK.Prolonged grief disorder: Psychometric validation of criteria proposed for DSM-V and ICD-11.PLoS Med. 2009 Aug;6(8):e1000121.
- Mack JW,Block SD,Nilsson M,Wright A,Trice E,Friedlander R,Paulk E,Prigerson HG.Measuring therapeutic alliance between oncologists and patients with advanced cancer: the Human Connection Scale.Cancer. 2009 Jul 15;115(14):3302-11.
- Smith AK,Fisher J,Schonberg MA,Pallin DJ,Block SD,Forrow L,Phillips RS,McCarthy EP.Am I Doing the Right Thing? Provider Perspectives on Improving Palliative Care in the Emergency Department.Ann Emerg Med. 2009 Jul;54(1):86-93, 93.e1.
- Phelps AC,Maciejewski PK,Nilsson M,Balboni TA,Wright AA,Paulk ME,Trice E,Schrag D,Peteet JR,Block SD,Prigerson HG.Religious coping and use of intensive life-prolonging care near death in patients with advanced cancer.JAMA. 2009 Mar 18;301(11):1140-7.
- Zhang B,Wright AA,Huskamp HA,Nilsson ME,Maciejewski ML,Earle CC,Block SD,Maciejewski PK,Prigerson HG.Health care costs in the last week of life: associations with end-of-life conversations.Arch Intern Med. 2009 Mar 9;169(5):480-8.
- Sullivan AM,Gadmer NM,Block SD.The project on death in America faculty scholars program: a report on scholars' progress.J Palliat Med. 2009 Feb;12(2):155-9.
- Nilsson ME,Maciejewski PK,Zhang B,Wright AA,Trice ED,Muriel AC,Friedlander RJ,Fasciano KM,Block SD,Prigerson HG.Mental health, treatment preferences, advance care planning, location, and quality of death in advanced cancer patients with dependent children.Cancer. 2009 Jan 15;115(2):399-409.
- Quek R,Morgan JA,George S,Butrynski JE,Polson K,Meyer F,Demetri GD,Block SD.Small molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitor and depression.J Clin Oncol. 2009 Jan 10;27(2):312-3.
- Wright AA,Zhang B,Ray A,Mack JW,Trice E,Balboni T,Mitchell SL,Jackson VA,Block SD,Maciejewski PK,Prigerson HG.Associations between end-of-life discussions, patient mental health, medical care near death, and caregiver bereavement adjustment.JAMA. 2008 Oct 8;300(14):1665-73.
- Smith AK,McCarthy EP,Paulk E,Balboni TA,Maciejewski PK,Block SD,Prigerson HG.Racial and ethnic differences in advance care planning among patients with cancer: impact of terminal illness acknowledgment, religiousness, and treatment preferences.J Clin Oncol. 2008 Sep 1;26(25):4131-7.
- Jackson VA,Mack J,Matsuyama R,Lakoma MD,Sullivan AM,Arnold RM,Weeks JC,Block SD.A qualitative study of oncologists' approaches to end-of-life care.J Palliat Med. 2008 Jul;11(6):893-906.
- Mack JW, Nilsson M, Balboni T, Friedlander RJ, Block SD, Trice E, Prigerson HG.Peace, Equanimity, and Acceptance in the cancer experience (PEACE): validation of a scale to assess acceptance and struggle with terminal illness.Cancer. 2008 Jun;112(11):2509-17.
- Periyakoil VS, Block SD.Learning from a life in medicine.J Palliat Med. 2008 May-Jun;11(3):434-7.
- Hammel JF, Sullivan AM, Block SD, Twycross R.End-of-life and palliative care education for final-year medical students: a comparison of Britain and the United States.J Palliat Med. 2007 Dec;10(6):1356-66.
- Miovic M, Block S.Psychiatric disorders in advanced cancer.Cancer. 2007 Oct 15;110(8):1665-76. Review.
- Smith AK, Buss MK, Giansiracusa DF, Block SD.On being fired: experiences of patient-initiated termination of the patient-physician relationship in palliative medicine.J Palliat Med. 2007 Aug;10(4):938-47.
- Sullivan AM, Lakoma MD, Matsuyama RK, Rosenblatt L, Arnold RM, Block SD.Diagnosing and discussing imminent death in the hospital: a secondary analysis of physician interviews.J Palliat Med. 2007 Aug;10(4):882-93.
- Buss MK, Lessen DS, Sullivan AM, Von Roenn J, Arnold RM, Block SD.A study of oncology fellows' training in end-of-life care.J Support Oncol. 2007 May;5(5):237-42.
- Temel JS, Jackson VA, Billings JA, Dahlin C, Block SD, Buss MK, Ostler P, Fidias P, Muzikansky A, Greer JA, Pirl WF, Lynch TJ.Phase II study: integrated palliative care in newly diagnosed advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patients.J Clin Oncol. 2007 Jun 10;25(17):2377-82.
- Morrison LJ, Scott JO, Block SD,.Developing initial competency-based outcomes for the hospice and palliative medicine subspecialist: phase I of the hospice and palliative medicine competencies project.J Palliat Med. 2007 Apr;10(2):313-30.
- Maciejewski PK, Zhang B, Block SD, Prigerson HG.An empirical examination of the stage theory of grief.JAMA. 2007 Feb 21;297(7):716-23.
- Balboni TA, Vanderwerker LC, Block SD, Paulk ME, Lathan CS, Peteet JR, Prigerson HG.Religiousness and spiritual support among advanced cancer patients and associations with end-of-life treatment preferences and quality of life.J Clin Oncol. 2007 Feb 10;25(5):555-60.
- Parsons SK, Saiki-Craighill S, Mayer DK, Sullivan AM, Jeruss S, Terrin N, Tighiouart H, Nakagawa K, Iwata Y, Hara J, Grier HE, Block S.Telling children and adolescents about their cancer diagnosis: cross-cultural comparisons between pediatric oncologists in the US and Japan.Psychooncology. 2007 Jan;16(1):60-8.
- Ray A, Block SD, Friedlander RJ, Zhang B, Maciejewski PK, Prigerson HG.Peaceful awareness in patients with advanced cancer.J Palliat Med. 2006 Dec;9(6):1359-68.
- Bambauer KZ, Zhang B, Maciejewski PK, Sahay N, Pirl WF, Block SD, Prigerson HG.Mutuality and specificity of mental disorders in advanced cancer patients and caregivers.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2006 Oct;41(10):819-24.
- Sullivan AM, Lakoma MD, Billings JA, Peters AS, Block SD,.Creating enduring change: demonstrating the long-term impact of a faculty development program in palliative care.J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Sep;21(9):907-14.
- Smith AK, Ries AP, Zhang B, Tulsky JA, Prigerson HG, Block SD.Resident approaches to advance care planning on the day of hospital admission.Arch Intern Med. 2006 Aug 14-28;166(15):1597-602.
- Kadan-Lottick NS, Vanderwerker LC, Block SD, Zhang B, Prigerson HG.Psychiatric disorders and mental health service use in patients with advanced cancer.Cancer. 2005 Nov 14;104(12):2872-2881.
- Earle CC, Neville BA, Beth Landrum M, Souza JM, Weeks JC, Block SD, Grunfeld E, Ayanian JZ.Evaluating claims-based indicators of the intensity of end-of-life cancer care.Int J Qual Health Care. 2005 Dec;17(6):505-9.
- Sullivan AM, Warren AG, Lakoma MD, Liaw KR, Hwang D, Block SD.End-of-Life Care in the Curriculum: A National Study of Medical Education Deans.Acad Med. 2004 Aug;79(8):760-8.
- DelVecchio Good MJ, Gadmer NM, Ruopp P, Lakoma M, Sullivan AM, Redinbaugh E, Arnold RM, Block SD.Narrative nuances on good and bad deaths: internists' tales from high-technology work places.Soc Sci Med. 2004 Mar;58(5):939-53.
- Earle CC, Neville BA, Landrum MB, Ayanian JZ, Block SD, Weeks JC.Trends in the aggressiveness of cancer care near the end of life.J Clin Oncol. 2004 Jan 15;22(2):315-21.
- Holley JL, Carmody SS, Moss AH, Sullivan AM, Cohen LM, Block SD, Arnold RM.The need for end-of-life care training in nephrology: national survey results of nephrology fellows.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003 Oct;42(4):813-20.
- Sullivan AM, Lakoma MD, Block SD.The status of medical education in end-of-life care: a national report.J Gen Intern Med. 2003 Sep;18(9):685-95.
- Redinbaugh EM, Sullivan AM, Block SD, Gadmer NM, Lakoma M, Mitchell AM, Seltzer D, Wolford J, Arnold RM.Doctors' emotional reactions to recent death of a patient: cross sectional study of hospital doctors.BMJ. 2003 Jul 26;327(7408):185.
- Connelly MT, Sullivan AM, Peters AS, Clark-Chiarelli N, Zotov N, Martin N, Simon SR, Singer JD, Block SD.Variation in predictors of primary care career choice by year and stage of training.J Gen Intern Med. 2003 Mar;18(3):159-69.
- Earle CC, Park ER, Lai B, Weeks JC, Ayanian JZ, Block S.Identifying potential indicators of the quality of end-of-life cancer care from administrative data.J Clin Oncol. 2003 Mar 15;21(6):1133-8.
- Lee SJ, Back AL, Block SD, Stewart SK.Enhancing physician-patient communication.Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2002:464-83.
- Block SD.Medical education in end-of-life care: the status of reform.J Palliat Med. 2002 Apr;5(2):243-8.
- Weissman DE, Block SD.ACGME requirements for end-of-life training in selected residency and fellowship programs: a status report.Acad Med. 2002 Apr;77(4):299-304.
- Billings JA, Block SD, Finn JW, LeGrand SB, Lupu D, Munger B, Schonwetter RS, von Gunten CF.Initial voluntary program standards for fellowship training in palliative medicine.J Palliat Med. 2002 Feb;5(1):23-33.
- Rosenblatt L, Block SD.Depression, decision making, and the cessation of life-sustaining treatment.West J Med. 2001 Nov;175(5):320-5.
- Block SD.Perspectives on care at the close of life. Psychological considerations, growth, and transcendence at the end of life: the art of the possible.JAMA. 2001 Jun 13;285(22):2898-905.
- Simon SR, Pan RJ, Sullivan AM, Clark-Chiarelli N, Connelly MT, Peters AS, Singer JD, Inui TS, Block SD.Views of managed care--a survey of students, residents, faculty, and deans at medical schools in the United States.N Engl J Med. 1999 Mar 25;340(12):928-36.
- Billings JA, Block S.Palliative care in undergraduate medical education. Status report and future directions.JAMA. 1997 Sep 3;278(9):733-8.