Jarvis T. Chen, ScD
- Chen JT, Beckfield J, Waterman PD, Krieger N.Chen et al. Respond to "Bias in Socioeconomic Health Disparities--Comments".Am J Epidemiol. 2013 Apr 7.
- Chen JT, Beckfield J, Waterman PD, Krieger N.Can Changes in the Distributions of and Associations Between Education and Income Bias Temporal Comparisons of Health Disparities? An Exploration With Causal Graphs and Simulations.Am J Epidemiol. 2013 Apr 7.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Waterman PD, Kosheleva A, Beckfield J.History, haldanes and health inequities: exploring phenotypic changes in body size by generation and income level in the US-born White and Black non-Hispanic populations 1959-1962 to 2005-2008.Int J Epidemiol. 2013 Feb;42(1):281-95.
- Datta GD, Glymour MM, Kosheleva A, Chen JT.Prostate cancer mortality and birth or adult residence in the southern United States.Cancer Causes Control. 2012 Jul;23(7):1039-46.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Kosheleva A, Waterman PD.Not just smoking and high-tech medicine: socioeconomic inequities in U.S. mortality rates, overall and by race/ethnicity, 1960-2006.Int J Health Serv. 2012;42(2):293-322.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Kosheleva A, Waterman PD.Shrinking, widening, reversing, and stagnating trends in US socioeconomic inequities in cancer mortality for the total, black, and white populations: 1960-2006.Cancer Causes Control. 2012 Feb;23(2):297-319.
- Hund L, Chen JT, Krieger N, Coull BA.A Geostatistical Approach to Large-Scale Disease Mapping with Temporal Misalignment.Biometrics. 2011 Dec 16.
- Krieger N, Waterman PD, Kosheleva A, Chen JT, Carney DR, Smith KW, Bennett GG, Williams DR, Freeman E, Russell B, Thornhill G, Mikolowsky K, Rifkin R, Samuel L.Exposing racial discrimination: implicit & explicit measures--the My Body, My Story study of 1005 US-born black & white community health center members.PLoS ONE. 2011;6(11):e27636.
- Brochu PJ, Yanosky JD, Paciorek CJ, Schwartz J, Chen JT, Herrick RF, Suh HH.Particulate air pollution and socioeconomic position in rural and urban areas of the Northeastern United States.Am J Public Health. 2011 Dec;101 Suppl 1:S224-30.
- Krieger N, Kosheleva A, Waterman PD, Chen JT, Koenen K.Racial discrimination, psychological distress, and self-rated health among US-born and foreign-born Black Americans.Am J Public Health. 2011 Sep;101(9):1704-13.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Waterman PD.Temporal trends in the black/white breast cancer case ratio for estrogen receptor status: disparities are historically contingent, not innate.Cancer Causes Control. 2011 Mar;22(3):511-4.
- Krieger N, Kaddour A, Koenen K, Kosheleva A, Chen JT, Waterman PD, Barbeau EM.Occupational, social, and relationship hazards and psychological distress among low-income workers: implications of the 'inverse hazard law'.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2010 Aug 15.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Waterman PD.Decline in US Breast Cancer Rates After the Women's Health Initiative: Socioeconomic and Racial/Ethnic Differentials.Am J Public Health. 2010 Apr;100(S1):S132-S139.
- Chen JT, Kaddour A, Krieger N.Implications of missing income data.Public Health Rep.;123(3):260; author reply 260-1.
- Krieger N,Chen JT,Waterman PD,Hartman C,Stoddard AM,Quinn MM,Sorensen G,Barbeau EM.The inverse hazard law: blood pressure, sexual harassment, racial discrimination, workplace abuse and occupational exposures in US low-income black, white and Latino workers.Soc Sci Med. 2008 Dec;67(12):1970-81.
- Glymour MM, Weuve J, Chen JT.Methodological challenges in causal research on racial and ethnic patterns of cognitive trajectories: measurement, selection, and bias.Neuropsychology Review. 2008 Sep;18(3):194-213. Review.
- Krieger N,Chen JT,Ware JH,Kaddour A.Race/ethnicity and breast cancer estrogen receptor status: impact of class, missing data, and modeling assumptions.Cancer Causes Control. 2008 Dec;19(10):1305-18.
- Chen JT,Coull BA,Waterman PD,Schwartz J,Krieger N.Methodologic implications of social inequalities for analyzing health disparities in large spatiotemporal data sets: an example using breast cancer incidence data (Northern and Southern California, 1988--2002).Stat Med. 2008 Sep 10;27(20):3957-83.
- Krieger N, Rehkopf DH, Chen JT, Waterman PD, Marcelli E, Kennedy M.The fall and rise of US inequities in premature mortality: 1960-2002.PLoS Med. 2008 Feb;5(2):e46.
- Chen JT, Rehkopf DH, Waterman PD, Subramanian SV, Coull BA, Cohen B, Ostrem M, Krieger N.Mapping and measuring social disparities in premature mortality: the impact of census tract poverty within and across Boston neighborhoods, 1999-2001.J Urban Health. 2006 Nov;83(6):1063-84.
- Rehkopf DH, Haughton LT, Chen JT, Waterman PD, Subramanian SV, Krieger N.Monitoring socioeconomic disparities in death: comparing individual-level education and area-based socioeconomic measures.Am J Public Health. 2006 Dec;96(12):2135-8.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Waterman PD, Rehkopf DH, Yin R, Coull BA.Race/ethnicity and changing US socioeconomic gradients in breast cancer incidence: California and Massachusetts, 1978-2002 (United States).Cancer Causes Control. 2006 Mar;17(2):217-26.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Coull BA, Selby JV.Lifetime socioeconomic position and twins' health: an analysis of 308 pairs of United States women twins.PLoS Med. 2005 Jul;2(7):e162.
- Subramanian SV, Chen JT, Rehkopf DH, Waterman PD, Krieger N.Racial disparities in context: a multilevel analysis of neighborhood variations in poverty and excess mortality among black populations in Massachusetts.Am J Public Health. 2005 Feb;95(2):260-5.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Waterman PD, Rehkopf DH, Subramanian SV.Painting a truer picture of US socioeconomic and racial/ethnic health inequalities: the Public Health Disparities Geocoding Project.Am J Public Health. 2005 Feb;95(2):312-23.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Waterman PD, Rehkopf DH, Subramanian SV.Race/ethnicity, gender, and monitoring socioeconomic gradients in health: a comparison of area-based socioeconomic measures--the public health disparities geocoding project.Am J Public Health. 2003 Oct;93(10):1655-71.
- Krieger N, Waterman PD, Chen JT, Soobader MJ, Subramanian SV.Monitoring socioeconomic inequalities in sexually transmitted infections, tuberculosis, and violence: geocoding and choice of area-based socioeconomic measures--the public health disparities geocoding project (US).Public Health Rep. 2003 May-Jun;118(3):240-60.
- Krieger N, Chen JT, Waterman PD, Soobader MJ, Subramanian SV, Carson R.Geocoding and monitoring of US socioeconomic inequalities in mortality and cancer incidence: does the choice of area-based measure and geographic level matter?: the Public Health Disparities Geocoding Project.Am J Epidemiol. 2002 Sep 1;156(5):471-82.
- Krieger N, Waterman P, Chen JT, Soobader MJ, Subramanian SV, Carson R.Zip code caveat: bias due to spatiotemporal mismatches between zip codes and US census-defined geographic areas--the Public Health Disparities Geocoding Project.Am J Public Health. 2002 Jul;92(7):1100-2.
- Chen JT, Krieger N, Van Den Eeden SK, Quesenberry CP.Different slopes for different folks: socioeconomic and racial/ethnic disparities in asthma and hay fever among 173,859 U.S. men and women.Environ Health Perspect. 2002 Apr;110 Suppl 2:211-6.