Alexandra E. Shields, PhD
- Levy DE, Byfield SD, Comstock CB, Garber JE, Syngal S, Crown WH, Shields AE.Underutilization of BRCA1/2 testing to guide breast cancer treatment: Black and Hispanic women particularly at risk.Genet Med. 2011 Apr;13(4):349-355.
- Park ER, Kleimann S, Youatt EJ, Lockhart A, Campbell EG, Levy DE, Halbert CH, Schmieder E, Krishna R, Shields AE.Black and White adults' perspectives on the genetics of nicotine addiction susceptibility.Addict Behav. 2011 Feb 25.
- Schnoll RA, Patterson F, Wileyto EP, Heitjan DF, Shields AE, Asch DA, Lerman C.Effectiveness of extended-duration transdermal nicotine therapy: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2010 Feb 2;152(3):144-51.
- Jha AK, DesRoches CM, Shields AE, Miralles PD, Zheng J, Rosenbaum S, Campbell EG.Evidence of an emerging digital divide among hospitals that care for the poor.Health Aff (Millwood).;28(6):w1160-70.
- Levy DE,Garber JE,Shields AE.Guidelines for Genetic Risk Assessment of Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer: Early Disagreements and Low Utilization.J Gen Intern Med. 2009 Jul;24(7):822-8.
- Phillips JM,Siegel SJ,Shields AE,Patterson F,Gould TJ,Strasser AA,Ray R,Pinto A,Audrain-McGovern J,Rukstalis M,Perkins KA,Blendy JA,Lerman C.Translating basic science to improve pharmacotherapy for nicotine dependence.Nicotine Tob Res. 2007 Nov;9 Suppl 4:S583-98.
- Shields AE,Levy DE,Blumenthal D,Currivan D,McGinn-Shapiro M,Weiss KB,Yucel R,Lerman C.Primary care physicians' willingness to offer a new genetic test to tailor smoking treatment, according to test characteristics.Nicotine Tob Res. 2008 Jun;10(6):1037-45.
- Shields AE,McGinn-Shapiro M,Fronstin P.Trends in private insurance, Medicaid/State Children's Health Insurance Program, and the Healthcare Safety Net: implications for vulnerable populations and health disparities.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1136:137-48.
- DesRoches CM,Campbell EG,Rao SR,Donelan K,Ferris TG,Jha A,Kaushal R,Levy DE,Rosenbaum S,Shields AE,Blumenthal D.Electronic health records in ambulatory care--a national survey of physicians.N Engl J Med. 2008 Jul 3;359(1):50-60.
- Shields AE,Burke W,Levy DE.Differential use of available genetic tests among primary care physicians in the United States: results of a national survey.Genet Med. 2008 Jun;10(6):404-14.
- Shields AE, Lerman C.Anticipating clinical integration of pharmacogenetic treatment strategies for addiction: are primary care physicians ready?.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2008 Apr;83(4):635-9. Review.
- Levy DE, Youatt EJ, Shields AE.Primary care physicians' concerns about offering a genetic test to tailor smoking cessation treatment.Genet Med. 2007 Dec;9(12):842-9.
- Vogeli C, Shields AE, Lee TA, Gibson TB, Marder WD, Weiss KB, Blumenthal D.Multiple chronic conditions: prevalence, health consequences, and implications for quality, care management, and costs.J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Dec;22 Suppl 3:391-5. Review.
- Shields AE.Trends in private insurance, Medicaid/State Children's Health Insurance Program, and the health-care safety net: implications for asthma disparities.Chest. 2007 Nov;132(5 Suppl):818S-830S.
- Lee TA, Shields AE, Vogeli C, Gibson TB, Woong-Sohn M, Marder WD, Blumenthal D, Weiss KB.Mortality rate in veterans with multiple chronic conditions.J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Dec;22 Suppl 3:403-7.
- Braun L, Fausto-Sterling A, Fullwiley D, Hammonds EM, Nelson A, Quivers W, Reverby SM, Shields AE.Racial categories in medical practice: how useful are they?.PLoS Med. 2007 Sep;4(9):e271.
- Shields AE, Shin P, Leu MG, Levy DE, Betancourt RM, Hawkins D, Proser M.Adoption of health information technology in community health centers: results of a national survey.Health Aff (Millwood). 2007 Sep-Oct;26(5):1373-83.
- Park ER, Kleimann S, Pelan JA, Shields AE.Anticipating clinical integration of genetically tailored tobacco dependence treatment: perspectives of primary care physicians.Nicotine Tob Res. 2007 Feb;9(2):271-9.
- Munaf˛ MR, Shields AE, Berrettini WH, Patterson F, Lerman C.Pharmacogenetics and nicotine addiction treatment.Pharmacogenomics. 2005 Apr;6(3):211-223.
- Munaf˛ MR, Lerman C, Niaura R, Shields AE, Swan GE.Smoking cessation treatment: pharmacogenetic assessment.Curr Opin Mol Ther. 2005 Jun;7(3):202-8.
- Shields AE, Blumenthal D, Weiss KB, Comstock CB, Currivan D, Lerman C.Barriers to translating emerging genetic research on smoking into clinical practice. Perspectives of primary care physicians.J Gen Intern Med. 2005 Feb;20(2):131-8.
- Shields AE, Fortun M, Hammonds EM, King PA, Lerman C, Rapp R, Sullivan PF.The use of race variables in genetic studies of complex traits and the goal of reducing health disparities: a transdisciplinary perspective.Am Psychol. 2005 Jan;60(1):77-103.
- Shields A, Lerman C, Sullivan P.Translating emerging research on the genetics of smoking into clinical practice: ethical and social considerations.Nicotine Tob Res. 2004 Aug;6(4):675-88.
- Wilfond BS, Geller G, Lerman C, Audrain-McGovern J, Shields AE.Ethical issues in conducting behavioral genetics research: the case of smoking prevention trials among adolescents.J Health Care Law Policy. 2002;6(1):73-88.
- Lerman C, Shields AE.Genetic testing for cancer susceptibility: the promise and the pitfalls.Nat Rev Cancer. 2004 Mar;4(3):235-41.
- Shields AE, Comstock C, Weiss KB.Variations in asthma care by race/ethnicity among children enrolled in a state Medicaid program.Pediatrics. 2004 Mar;113(3 Pt 1):496-504.
- Unger JB, Cruz T, Shakib S, Mock J, Shields A, Baezconde-Garbanati L, Palmer P, Cruz JD, Edsall E, Gritz ER, Glynn T, Johnson CA.Exploring the cultural context of tobacco use: a transdisciplinary framework.Nicotine Tob Res. 2003 Dec;5 Suppl 1:S101-17.
- Baker TB, Hatsukami DK, Lerman C, O'Malley SS, Shields AE, Fiore MC.Transdisciplinary science applied to the evaluation of treatments for tobacco use.Nicotine Tob Res. 2003 Dec;5 Suppl 1:S89-99.
- Audrain-McGovern J, Tercyak KP, Shields AE, Bush A, Espinel CF, Lerman C.Which adolescents are most receptive to tobacco industry marketing? implications for counter-advertising campaigns.Health Commun. 2003;15(4):499-513.
- Shields AE, Comstock C, Finkelstein JA, Weiss KB.Comparing asthma care provided to Medicaid-enrolled children in a Primary Care Case Manager plan and a staff model HMO.Ambul Pediatr. 2003 Sep-Oct;3(5):253-62.
- Shields AE, Finkelstein JA, Comstock C, Weiss KB.Process of care for Medicaid-enrolled children with asthma: served by community health centers and other providers.Med Care. 2002 Apr;40(4):303-14.