Ichiro Kawachi, MD, PhD
- Halonen JI, Kivimäki M, Pentti J, Stenholm S, Kawachi I, Subramanian SV, Vahtera J.Green and blue areas as predictors of overweight and obesity in an 8-year follow-up study.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Aug(8):1910-7.
- Neuman M, Kawachi I, Gortmaker S, Subramanian S.National economic development and disparities in body mass index: a cross-sectional study of data from 38 countries.PLoS ONE. 2014;9(6):e99327.
- Heo J, Oh J, Subramanian SV, Kawachi I.Household and School-Level Influences on Smoking Behavior among Korean Adolescents: A Multilevel Analysis.PLoS ONE. 2014;9(6):e98683.
- Dutra LM, Williams DR, Kawachi I, Okechukwu CA.Racial and non-racial discrimination and smoking status among South African adults 10 years after apartheid.Tobacco Control. 2014 Apr 30.
- Arcaya M, Glymour MM, Christakis NA, Kawachi I, Subramanian SV.Individual and spousal unemployment as predictors of smoking and drinking behavior.Soc Sci Med. 2014 Jun;110:89-95.
- Rewak M, Buka S, Prescott J, De Vivo I, Loucks EB, Kawachi I, Non AL, Kubzansky LD.Race-related health disparities and biological aging: Does rate of telomere shortening differ across blacks and whites?.Biol Psychol. 2014 Mar 29;99C:92-99.
- Duncan DT, Kawachi I, Melly SJ, Blossom J, Sorensen G, Williams DR.Demographic disparities in the tobacco retail environment in Boston: a citywide spatial analysis.Public Health Rep.;129(2):209-15.
- Dean L, Subramanian SV, Williams DR, Armstrong K, Charles CZ, Kawachi I.The role of social capital in African-American women's use of mammography.Soc Sci Med. 2014 Mar;104:148-56.
- Kobayashi T, Suzuki E, Oksanen T, Kawachi I, Takao S.The bright side and dark side of workplace social capital: opposing effects of gender on overweight among Japanese employees.PLoS ONE. 2014;9(1):e88084.
- Richmond TK, Elliott MN, Franzini L, Kawachi I, Caughy MO, Gilliland MJ, Walls CE, Franklin FA, Lowry R, Banspach SW, Schuster MA.School programs and characteristics and their influence on student BMI: findings from healthy passages.PLoS ONE. 2014;9(1):e83254.
- Duncan DT, Kawachi I, Subramanian SV, Aldstadt J, Melly SJ, Williams DR.Examination of how neighborhood definition influences measurements of youths' access to tobacco retailers: a methodological note on spatial misclassification.Am J Epidemiol. 2014 Feb 1;179(3):373-81.
- Nandi A, Sweet E, Kawachi I, Heymann J, Galea S.Associations between macrolevel economic factors and weight distributions in low- and middle-income countries: a multilevel analysis of 200,000 adults in 40 countries.Am J Public Health. 2014 Feb;104(2):e162-71.
- Nishihara R, Morikawa T, Kuchiba A, Lochhead P, Yamauchi M, Liao X, Imamura Y, Nosho K, Shima K, Kawachi I, Qian ZR, Fuchs CS, Chan AT, Giovannucci E, Ogino S.A prospective study of duration of smoking cessation and colorectal cancer risk by epigenetics-related tumor classification.Am J Epidemiol. 2013 Jul 1;178(1):84-100.
- Ikeda A, Kawachi I, Iso H, Iwasaki M, Inoue M, Tsugane S.Social support and cancer incidence and mortality: the JPHC study cohort II.Cancer Causes Control. 2013 May;24(5):847-60.
- McClure CB, Valdimarsdóttir UA, Hauksdóttir A, Kawachi I.Economic crisis and smoking behaviour: prospective cohort study in Iceland.BMJ Open. 2012;2(5).
- Son M, Kim J, Oh J, Kawachi I.Inequalities in childhood cancer mortality according to parental socioeconomic position: A birth cohort study in South Korea.Soc Sci Med. 2011 Jan;72(1):108-15.
- Datta GD, Kawachi I, Delpierre C, Lang T, Grosclaude P.Trends in Kaposi's Sarcoma Survival Disparities in the United States: 1980 through 2004.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Nov;19(11):2718-26.
- Park EJ, Kim H, Kawachi I, Kim IH, Cho SI.Area deprivation, individual socioeconomic position and smoking among women in South Korea.Tobacco Control. 2010 Oct;19(5):383-90.
- Suzuki E, Fujiwara T, Takao S, Subramanian SV, Yamamoto E, Kawachi I.Multi-level, cross-sectional study of workplace social capital and smoking among Japanese employees.BMC Public Health. 2010;10:489.
- Kim D, Masyn KE, Kawachi I, Laden F, Colditz GA.Neighborhood socioeconomic status and behavioral pathways to risks of colon and rectal cancer in women.Cancer. 2010 Sep 1;116(17):4187-96.
- Sapp AL, Kawachi I, Sorensen G, LaMontagne AD, Subramanian SV.Does workplace social capital buffer the effects of job stress? A cross-sectional, multilevel analysis of cigarette smoking among U.S. manufacturing workers.J Occup Environ Med. 2010 Jul;52(7):740-50.
- Hill S, Sarfati D, Blakely T, Robson B, Purdie G, Dennett E, Cormack D, Dew K, Ayanian JZ, Kawachi I.Ethnicity and management of colon cancer in New Zealand: do indigenous patients get a worse deal?.Cancer. 2010 Jul 1;116(13):3205-14.
- Chapman B, Fiscella K, Duberstein P, Kawachi I.Education and smoking: confounding or effect modification by phenotypic personality traits?.Ann Behav Med. 2009 Dec;38(3):237-48.
- Hill S, Sarfati D, Blakely T, Robson B, Purdie G, Chen J, Dennett E, Cormack D, Cunningham R, Dew K, McCreanor T, Kawachi I.Survival disparities in Indigenous and non-Indigenous New Zealanders with colon cancer: the role of patient comorbidity, treatment and health service factors.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2010 Feb;64(2):117-23.
- Kondo N, Sembajwe G, Kawachi I, van Dam RM, Subramanian SV, Yamagata Z.Income inequality, mortality, and self rated health: meta-analysis of multilevel studies.BMJ. 2009;339:b4471. Review.
- Datta GD,Neville BA,Kawachi I,Datta NS,Earle CC.Marital Status and Survival Following Bladder Cancer.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009 Oct;63(10):807-13.
- Osypuk TL,Subramanian SV,Kawachi I,Acevedo-Garcia D.Is Workplace Smoking Policy Equally Prevalent and Equally Effective for Immigrants?.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009 Oct;63(10):784-91.
- Glymour MM,Defries TB,Kawachi I,Avendano M.Spousal smoking and incidence of first stroke: the Health and Retirement Study.Am J Prev Med. 2008 Sep;35(3):245-8.
- Gilman SE, Martin LT, Abrams DB, Kawachi I, Kubzansky L, Loucks EB, Rende R, Rudd R, Buka SL.Educational attainment and cigarette smoking: a causal association?.Int J Epidemiol. 2008 Jun;37(3):615-24.
- Ackerson LK, Kawachi I, Barbeau EM, Subramanian SV.Effects of individual and proximate educational context on intimate partner violence: a population-based study of women in India.Am J Public Health. 2008 Mar;98(3):507-14.
- Lemeshow AR, Fisher L, Goodman E, Kawachi I, Berkey CS, Colditz GA.Subjective social status in the school and change in adiposity in female adolescents: findings from a prospective cohort study.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008 Jan;162(1):23-8.
- Ackerson LK, Kawachi I, Barbeau EM, Subramanian SV.Exposure to domestic violence associated with adult smoking in India: a population based study.Tobacco Control. 2007 Dec;16(6):378-83.
- Cho HJ, Khang YH, Jun HJ, Kawachi I.Marital status and smoking in Korea: the influence of gender and age.Soc Sci Med. 2008 Feb;66(3):609-19.
- Subramanian SV, Kawachi I.Commentary: Chasing the elusive null--the story of income inequality and health.Int J Epidemiol. 2007 Jun;36(3):596-9.
- Wolin KY, Glynn RJ, Colditz GA, Lee IM, Kawachi I.Long-term physical activity patterns and health-related quality of life in u.s. Women.Am J Prev Med. 2007 Jun;32(6):490-9.
- Kim D, Kawachi I.U.S. state-level social capital and health-related quality of life: multilevel evidence of main, mediating, and modifying effects.Ann Epidemiol. 2007 Apr;17(4):258-69.
- Hill SE, Blakely T, Kawachi I, Woodward A.Mortality among lifelong nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at home: cohort data and sensitivity analyses.Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Mar 1;165(5):530-40.
- Melchior M, Berkman LF, Kawachi I, Krieger N, Zins M, Bonenfant S, Goldberg M.Lifelong socioeconomic trajectory and premature mortality (35-65 years) in France: findings from the GAZEL Cohort Study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2006 Nov;60(11):937-44.
- Osypuk TL, Kawachi I, Subramanian SV, Acevedo-Garcia D.Are state patterns of smoking different for different racial/ethnic groups? an application of multilevel analysis.Public Health Rep. 2006 Sep-Oct;121(5):563-77.
- Tindle HA, Rigotti NA, Davis RB, Barbeau EM, Kawachi I, Shiffman S.Cessation among smokers of "light" cigarettes: results from the 2000 national health interview survey.Am J Public Health. 2006 Aug;96(8):1498-504.
- Datta GD, Subramanian SV, Colditz GA, Kawachi I, Palmer JR, Rosenberg L.Individual, neighborhood, and state-level predictors of smoking among US Black women: A multilevel analysis.Soc Sci Med. 2006 Aug;63(4):1034-44.
- Kroenke CH, Kubzansky LD, Schernhammer ES, Holmes MD, Kawachi I.Social networks, social support, and survival after breast cancer diagnosis.J Clin Oncol. 2006 Mar 1;24(7):1105-11.
- Kroenke CH, Bennett GG, Fuchs C, Giovannucci E, Kawachi I, Schernhammer E, Holmes MD, Kubzansky LD.Depressive symptoms and prospective incidence of colorectal cancer in women.Am J Epidemiol. 2005 Nov 1;162(9):839-48.
- Melchior M, Goldberg M, Krieger N, Kawachi I, Menvielle G, Zins M, Berkman LF.Occupational class, occupational mobility and cancer incidence among middle-aged men and women: a prospective study of the French GAZEL cohort*.Cancer Causes Control. 2005 Jun;16(5):515-24.
- Kroenke CH, Rosner B, Chen WY, Kawachi I, Colditz GA, Holmes MD.Functional impact of breast cancer by age at diagnosis.J Clin Oncol. 2004 May 15;22(10):1849-56.
- Cannuscio CC, Colditz GA, Rimm EB, Berkman LF, Jones CP, Kawachi I.Employment status, social ties, and caregivers' mental health.Soc Sci Med. 2004 Apr;58(7):1247-56.
- Lee S, Colditz GA, Berkman LF, Kawachi I.Prospective study of job insecurity and coronary heart disease in US women.Ann Epidemiol. 2004 Jan;14(1):24-30.
- Schernhammer ES, Laden F, Speizer FE, Willett WC, Hunter DJ, Kawachi I, Fuchs CS, Colditz GA.Night-shift work and risk of colorectal cancer in the nurses' health study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003 Jun 4;95(11):825-8.
- Lee S, Kawachi I, Berkman LF, Grodstein F.Education, other socioeconomic indicators, and cognitive function.Am J Epidemiol. 2003 Apr 15;157(8):712-20.
- Lee S, Colditz GA, Berkman LF, Kawachi I.Caregiving and risk of coronary heart disease in U.S. women: a prospective study.Am J Prev Med. 2003 Feb;24(2):113-9.
- Eng PM, Fitzmaurice G, Kubzansky LD, Rimm EB, Kawachi I.Anger expression and risk of stroke and coronary heart disease among male health professionals.Psychosom Med. 2003 Jan-Feb;65(1):100-10.
- Cannuscio CC, Jones C, Kawachi I, Colditz GA, Berkman L, Rimm E.Reverberations of family illness: a longitudinal assessment of informal caregiving and mental health status in the Nurses' Health Study.Am J Public Health. 2002 Aug;92(8):1305-11.
- Bacon CG, Kawachi I.Quality-of-life differences among various populations of localized prostate cancer patients: 2001.Curr Urol Rep. 2002 Jun;3(3):239-43.
- Michael YL, Berkman LF, Colditz GA, Holmes MD, Kawachi I.Social networks and health-related quality of life in breast cancer survivors: a prospective study.J Psychosom Res. 2002 May;52(5):285-93.
- Al-Delaimy WK, Manson JE, Solomon CG, Kawachi I, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Hu FB.Smoking and risk of coronary heart disease among women with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Arch Intern Med. 2002 Feb 11;162(3):273-9.
- Bacon CG, Giovannucci E, Testa M, Glass TA, Kawachi I.The association of treatment-related symptoms with quality-of-life outcomes for localized prostate carcinoma patients.Cancer. 2002 Feb 1;94(3):862-71.
- Kawachi I.Income inequality and economic residential segregation.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2002 Mar;56(3):165-6.
- Collins MM, Meigs JB, Barry MJ, Walker Corkery E, Giovannucci E, Kawachi I.Prevalence and correlates of prostatitis in the health professionals follow-up study cohort.J Urol. 2002 Mar;167(3):1363-6.
- Blakely TA, Lochner K, Kawachi I.Metropolitan area income inequality and self-rated health--a multi-level study.Soc Sci Med. 2002 Jan;54(1):65-77.
- Feskanich D, Hastrup JL, Marshall JR, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Kawachi I.Stress and suicide in the Nurses' Health Study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2002 Feb;56(2):95-8.
- Kubzansky LD, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, Kawachi I.Is the glass half empty or half full? A prospective study of optimism and coronary heart disease in the normative aging study.Psychosom Med. 2001 Nov-Dec;63(6):910-6.
- Gold R, Kawachi I, Kennedy BP, Lynch JW, Connell FA.Ecological analysis of teen birth rates: association with community income and income inequality.Matern Child Health J. 2001 Sep;5(3):161-7.
- Schernhammer ES, Laden F, Speizer FE, Willett WC, Hunter DJ, Kawachi I, Colditz GA.Rotating night shifts and risk of breast cancer in women participating in the nurses' health study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001 Oct 17;93(20):1563-8.
- Bacon CG, Giovannucci E, Testa M, Kawachi I.The impact of cancer treatment on quality of life outcomes for patients with localized prostate cancer.J Urol. 2001 Nov;166(5):1804-10.
- Michael YL, Kawachi I, Berkman LF, Holmes MD, Colditz GA.The persistent impact of breast carcinoma on functional health status: prospective evidence from the Nurses' Health Study.Cancer. 2000 Dec 1;89(11):2176-86.
- Achat H, Kawachi I, Byrne C, Hankinson S, Colditz G.A prospective study of job strain and risk of breast cancer.Int J Epidemiol. 2000 Aug;29(4):622-8.
- Platz EA, Kawachi I, Rimm EB, Willett WC, Giovannucci E.Race, ethnicity and benign prostatic hyperplasia in the health professionals follow-up study.J Urol. 2000 Feb;163(2):490-5.
- Fine JT, Colditz GA, Coakley EH, Moseley G, Manson JE, Willett WC, Kawachi I.A prospective study of weight change and health-related quality of life in women.JAMA. 1999 Dec 8;282(22):2136-42.
- Amick BC, Kawachi I, Coakley EH, Lerner D, Levine S, Colditz GA.Relationship of job strain and iso-strain to health status in a cohort of women in the United States.Scand J Work Environ Health. 1998 Feb;24(1):54-61.
- Coakley EH, Rimm EB, Colditz G, Kawachi I, Willett W.Predictors of weight change in men: results from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Feb;22(2):89-96.
- Atwood K, Colditz GA, Kawachi I.From public health science to prevention policy: placing science in its social and political contexts.Am J Public Health. 1997 Oct;87(10):1603-6.
- Emmons KM, Kawachi I, Barclay G.Tobacco control: a brief review of its history and prospects for the future.Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 1997 Apr;11(2):177-95.
- Kawachi I, Troisi RJ, Rotnitzky AG, Coakley EH, Colditz GA.Can physical activity minimize weight gain in women after smoking cessation?.Am J Public Health. 1996 Jul;86(7):999-1004.
- Kawachi I, Colditz GA, Ascherio A, Rimm EB, Giovannucci E, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC.A prospective study of social networks in relation to total mortality and cardiovascular disease in men in the USA.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1996 Jun;50(3):245-51.
- Kawachi I, Willett WC, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Speizer FE.A prospective study of coffee drinking and suicide in women.Arch Intern Med. 1996 Mar 11;156(5):521-5.
- Kawachi I, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Manson JE, Speizer FE, Hennekens CH.Prospective study of shift work and risk of coronary heart disease in women.Circulation. 1995 Dec 1;92(11):3178-82.
- Kawachi I, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Manson JE, Rosner B, Speizer FE, Hennekens CH.Smoking cessation and decreased risk of stroke in women.JAMA. 1993 Jan 13;269(2):232-6.
- Kawachi I, Pearce N, Fraser J.A New Zealand Cancer Registry-based study of cancer in wood workers.Cancer. 1989 Dec 15;64(12):2609-13.
- Pearce N, Kawachi I.Smoking and financial health.N Z Med J. 1989 Jan 25;102(860):22.
- Reif J, Pearce N, Kawachi I, Fraser J.Soft-tissue sarcoma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and other cancers in New Zealand forestry workers.Int J Cancer. 1989 Jan 15;43(1):49-54.