Vish Viswanath, PhD
- Blanch-Hartigan D, Blake KD, Viswanath K.Cancer Survivors' Use of Numerous Information Sources for Cancer-Related Information: Does More Matter?.J Cancer Educ. 2014 Apr 4.
- Wang MP, Wang X, Lam TH, Viswanath K, Chan SS.Ex-smokers are happier than current smokers among Chinese adults in Hong Kong.Addiction. 2014 Mar 4.
- Ramanadhan S, Mendez SR, Rao M, Viswanath K.Social media use by community-based organizations conducting health promotion: a content analysis.BMC Public Health. 2013;13:1129.
- Xie YJ, Stewart SM, Lam TH, Viswanath K, Chan SS.Television viewing time in Hong Kong adult population: associations with body mass index and obesity.PLoS ONE. 2014;9(1):e85440.
- Viswanath K, McCloud R, Minsky S, Puleo E, Kontos E, Bigman-Galimore C, Rudd R, Emmons KM.Internet use, browsing, and the urban poor: implications for cancer control.J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2013 Dec;2013(47):199-205.
- Wang MP, Wang X, Lam TH, Viswanath K, Chan SS.Health information seeking partially mediated the association between socioeconomic status and self-rated health among Hong Kong Chinese.PLoS ONE. 2013;8(12):e82720.
- Sorensen G, Pednekar MS, Sinha DN, Stoddard AM, Nagler E, Aghi MB, Lando HA, Viswanath K, Pawar P, Gupta PC.Effects of a tobacco control intervention for teachers in India: results of the Bihar school teachers study.Am J Public Health. 2013 Nov;103(11):2035-40.
- Wang MP, Wang X, Lam TH, Viswanath K, Chan SS.The tobacco endgame in Hong Kong: public support for a total ban on tobacco sales.Tobacco Control. 2013 Sep 17.
- Wang MP, Viswanath K, Lam TH, Wang X, Chan SS.Social determinants of health information seeking among Chinese adults in Hong Kong.PLoS ONE. 2013;8(8):e73049.
- Ramanadhan S, Viswanath K.Priority-setting for evidence-based health outreach in community-based organizations: A mixed-methods study in three Massachusetts communities.Transl Behav Med. 2013 Jun 1;3(2):180-188.
- Nagler RH, Viswanath K.Implementation and Research Priorities for FCTC Articles 13 and 16: Tobacco Advertising, Promotion, and Sponsorship and Sales to and by Minors.Nicotine Tob Res. 2013 Apr;15(4):832-46.
- Kontos EZ, Emmons KM, Puleo E, Viswanath K.Contribution of communication inequalities to disparities in human papillomavirus vaccine awareness and knowledge.Am J Public Health. 2012 Oct;102(10):1911-20.
- Sanchez MA, Vinson CA, Porta ML, Viswanath K, Kerner JF, Glasgow RE.Evolution of Cancer Control P.L.A.N.E.T.: moving research into practice.Cancer Causes Control. 2012 Jul;23(7):1205-12.
- Nagler EM, Pednekar MS, Viswanath K, Sinha DN, Aghi MB, Pischke CR, Ebbeling CB, Lando HA, Gupta PC, Sorensen GC.Designing in the social context: using the social contextual model of health behavior change to develop a tobacco control intervention for teachers in India.Health Education Research. 2012 Jun 4.
- Galarce EM, Ramanadhan S, Weeks J, Schneider EC, Gray SW, Viswanath K.Class, race, ethnicity and information needs in post-treatment cancer patients.Patient Educ Couns. 2011 Feb 26.
- Mack JW, Paulk ME, Viswanath K, Prigerson HG.Racial disparities in the outcomes of communication on medical care received near death.Arch Intern Med. 2010 Sep 27;170(17):1533-40.
- Ackerson LK, Viswanath K.Media Attention and Public Perceptions of Cancer and Eastern Equine Encephalitis.J Community Health. 2010 Aug;35(4):409-16.
- Viswanath K, Ackerson LK, Sorensen G, Gupta PC.Movies and TV influence tobacco use in India: findings from a national survey.PLoS ONE. 2010;5(6):e11365.
- Viswanath K, Herbst RS, Land SR, Leischow SJ, Shields PG, .Tobacco and cancer: an American Association for Cancer Research policy statement.Cancer Res. 2010 May 1;70(9):3419-30.
- Koh HK, Oppenheimer SC, Massin-Short SB, Emmons KM, Geller AC, Viswanath K.Translating research evidence into practice to reduce health disparities: a social determinants approach.Am J Public Health. 2010 Apr 1;100 Suppl 1:S72-80.
- Loggers ET, Maciejewski PK, Paulk E, Desanto-Madeya S, Nilsson M, Viswanath K, Wright AA, Balboni TA, Temel J, Stieglitz H, Block S, Prigerson HG.Racial Differences in Predictors of Intensive End-of-Life Care in Advanced Cancer Patients.J Clin Oncol. 2009 Nov 20;27(33):5559-64.
- Ramanadhan S, Wiecha JL, Emmons KM, Gortmaker SL, Viswanath K.Extra-team connections for knowledge transfer between staff teams.Health Education Research. 2009 Jun 15.
- Hannon P, Lloyd GP, Viswanath K, Smith T, Basen-Engquist K, Vernon SW, Turner G, Hesse BW, Crammer C, von Wagner C, Backinger CL.Mass media and marketing communication promoting primary and secondary cancer prevention.J Health Commun. 2009;14 Suppl 1:30-7.
- Ackerson LK, Viswanath K.The social context of interpersonal communication and health.J Health Commun. 2009;14 Suppl 1:5-17.
- Ackerson LK,Viswanath K.Communication inequalities, social determinants, and intermittent smoking in the 2003 Health Information National Trends Survey.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2009 Apr;6(2):A40.
- Arya M,Behforouz HL,Viswanath K.African American women and HIV/AIDS: a national call for targeted health communication strategies to address a disparity.AIDS Read. 2009 Feb;19(2):79-84, C3.
- Stryker JE,Fishman J,Emmons KM,Viswanath K.Cancer risk communication in mainstream and ethnic newspapers.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2009 Jan;6(1):A23.
- Viswanath K, Blake KD, Meissner HI, Saiontz NG, Mull C, Freeman CS, Hesse B, Croyle RT.Occupational practices and the making of health news: a national survey of US Health and medical science journalists.J Health Commun. 2008 Dec;13(8):759-77.
- Emmons KM,Geller AC,Viswanath V,Rutsch L,Zwirn J,Gorham S,Puleo E.The SunWise Policy intervention for school-based sun protection: a pilot study.J Sch Nurs. 2008 Aug;24(4):215-21.
- Emmons KM,Viswanath K,Colditz GA.The role of transdisciplinary collaboration in translating and disseminating health research: lessons learned and exemplars of success.Am J Prev Med. 2008 Aug;35(2 Suppl):S204-10.
- Savoia E,Stoto MA,Biddinger PD,Campbell P,Viswanath K,Koh H.Risk-communication capability for public health emergencies varies by community diversity.BMC Res Notes. 2008;1:6.
- Geller AC, Zwirn J, Rutsch L, Gorham SA, Viswanath V, Emmons KM.Multiple levels of influence in the adoption of sun protection policies in elementary schools in Massachusetts.Arch Dermatol. 2008 Apr;144(4):491-6.
- Colditz GA, Emmons KM, Vishwanath K, Kerner JF.Translating science to practice: community and academic perspectives.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2008 Mar-Apr;14(2):144-9.
- Taylor-Clark K, Koh H, Viswanath K.Perceptions of environmental health risks and communication barriers among low-SEP and racial/ethnic minority communities.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2007 Nov;18(4 Suppl):165-83.
- Kontos EZ, Bennett GG, Viswanath K.Barriers and facilitators to home computer and internet use among urban novice computer users of low socioeconomic position.J Med Internet Res. 2007;9(4):e31.
- Arora NK, Hesse BW, Rimer BK, Viswanath K, Clayman ML, Croyle RT.Frustrated and confused: the American public rates its cancer-related information-seeking experiences.J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Mar;23(3):223-8.
- McNeill LH, Viswanath K, Bennett GG, Puleo E, Emmons KM.Feasibility of using a web-based nutrition intervention among residents of multiethnic working-class neighborhoods.Prev Chronic Dis. 2007 Jul;4(3):A55.
- Viswanath K, Kreuter MW.Health Disparities, Communication Inequalities, and eHealth.Am J Prev Med. 2007 May;32(5 Suppl):S131-3.
- Viswanath K, Bond K.Social determinants and nutrition: reflections on the role of communication.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007 Mar-Apr;39(2 Suppl):S20-4. Review.
- Fitzgibbon M, Gans KM, Evans WD, Viswanath K, Johnson-Taylor WL, Krebs-Smith SM, Rodgers AB, Yaroch AL.Communicating healthy eating: lessons learned and future directions.J Nutr Educ Behav.;39(2 Suppl):S63-71.
- Stryker JE, Emmons KM, Viswanath K.Un-covering differences across the cancer control continuum: A comparison of ethnic and mainstream cancer newspaper stories.Prev Med. 2007 Jan;44(1):20-5.
- Cairns CP, Viswanath K.Communication and colorectal cancer screening among the uninsured: data from the Health Information National Trends Survey (United States).Cancer Causes Control. 2006 Nov;17(9):1115-25.
- Ramanadhan S, Viswanath K.Health and the information nonseeker: a profile.Health Commun. 2006;20(2):131-9.
- Bennett GG, Wolin KY, Viswanath K, Askew S, Puleo E, Emmons KM.Television Viewing and Pedometer-Determined Physical Activity Among Multiethnic Residents of Low-Income Housing.Am J Public Health. 2006 Sep;96(9):1681-5.
- Viswanath K, Randolph Steele W, Finnegan JR.Social capital and health: civic engagement, community size, and recall of health messages.Am J Public Health. 2006 Aug;96(8):1456-61.
- Viswanath K, Breen N, Meissner H, Moser RP, Hesse B, Steele WR, Rakowski W.Cancer knowledge and disparities in the information age.J Health Commun. 2006;11 Suppl 1:1-17.
- Viswanath K.Science and society: the communications revolution and cancer control.Nat Rev Cancer. 2005 Oct;5(10):828-35.
- Randolph W, Viswanath K.Lessons Learned from Public Health Mass Media Campaigns: Marketing Health in a Crowded Media World*.Annu Rev Public Health. 2004 Jan;25:419-437.
- Viswanath K, Arora P.Ethnic media in the United StatesL An essay on integration, assimilation, and social control.Eval & Prog Plan. 2000;3(1):39-56.
- Kreps G, Viswanath K.Communication interventions and cancer control: a review of the National Cancer Institute's health communication intervention research initiative.Fam Community Health. 2001 Oct;24(3):ix-xiii.
- Viswanath K, Kosicki GM, Fredin E, Park E.Community ties, community-boundedness, and local public affairs knowledge gaps.Eval & Prog Plan. 2000;27(1):27-50.
- Finnegan JR, Viswanath K, Hertog J.Mass media, secular trends, and the future of cardiovascular disease health promotion: an interpretive analysis.Prev Med. 1999 Dec;29(6 Pt 2):S50-8.
- Griffin M, Viswanath K, Schwartz D.Gender Advertising in the U.S. and India: Exporting cultural stereotypes, media, culture, and society.Eval & Prog Plan. 1994;16:487-507.
- Viswanath K, Finnegan JR, Hertog J, Ririe P, Murray D.Community type and the diffusion of campaign information.Eval & Prog Plan. 1994;64:39-59.
- Hertog JK, Finnegan JR, Rooney B, Baxter J, Elmer P, Graves K, Mullis R, Viswanath K, Potter J.Self-efficacy as a target population segmentation strategy in a diet and cancer risk reduction campaign.Eval & Prog Plan. 1993;5:21-40.
- Pavlik JV, Finnegan JR, Strickland D, Salmon C, Viswanath K, Wackman D.Increasing public understanding of heart disease: An analysis of data from the Minnesota Heart Health Program.Eval & Prog Plan. 1993;5:1-20.
- Viswanath K, Kahn E, Finnegan JR, Hertog J, Potter J.Motivation and the "Knowledge Gap": Effects of a campaign to reduce diet-related cancer risk.Eval & Prog Plan. 1993;20:546-563.
- Becker LB, Kosicki GM, Engleman T, Viswanath K.Finding work and getting paid: Predictors of success in the mass communications job market.Eval & Prog Plan. 1993;70(4):919-933.
- Finnegan JR, Viswanath K, Kahn E, Hannan P.Exposure to the sources of heart disease prevention information: Community type and social group differences.Eval & Prog Plan. 1993;70(3):569-584.
- Finnegan JR, Rooney B, Viswanath K, Elmer P, Graves K, Baxter J, Hertog J, Mullis R, Potter J.Process evaluation of a home-based program to reduce diet-related cancer risk: the "WIN at Home Series".Health Educ Q. 1992 Summer;19(2):233-48.
- Viswanath K, Finnegan JR, Hannan PJ, Luepker RV.Health and knowledge gaps: Some lessons from the Minnesota Heart Health Program.Eval & Prog Plan. 1991;34:712-726.
- Finnegan JR, Viswanath K, McGovern P, Baxter J, Elmer P, Graves K, Hertog J, Mullis R, Pirie P, Trenkner L, Potter J.Predictors of knowledge about healthy eating in a rural midwestern US city.Health Educ Res. 1990;5:421-431.
- Trenkner L, Rooney B, Viswanath K, Baxter J, Elmer P, Finnegan JR, Graves K, Hertog J, Mullis R, Pirie P, Potter J.Development of a scale using nutrition attitudes for audience segmentation.Health Educ Res. 1990;5:479-487.
- Viswanath K, Finnegan JR, Rooney B, Potter J.Communitie ties and the use of newspapers and cable TV in a rural Midwestern community.Eval & Prog Plan. 1990;67:899-911.
- Potter JD, Graves K, Finnegan JR, Mullis R, Baxter J, Crockett S, Elmer P, Gloeb B, Hall N, Hertog J, Pirie P, Richardson S, Rooney B, Slavin J, Snyder P, Splett P, Viswanath K.The Cancer and Diet Intervention Project: A community-based intervention to reduce nutrition-related risk of cancer.Health Educ Res. 1990;5:489-503.
- Finnegan JR, Viswanath K, Hannan P, Weisbrod R, Jacobs DR.Message discrimination: A study of its use in a campaign research project.Eval & Prog Plan. 1989;16:770-792.
- Viswanath K.International news in the U.S. media: Perceptions of foreign students.Eval & Prog Plan. 1988;65(4):952-959.
- Finnegan JR, Viswanath K.Community ties and use of cable television and newspapers in a Midwest suburb.Eval & Prog Plan. 1988;65:952-959.
- Finnegan JR, Viswanath K, Loken B.Predictors of cardiovascular health knowledge among suburban cable TV subscribers and non-subscribers.Health Educ Res. 1988;3:141-151.