Ovarian Cancer Program
The DF/HCC Ovarian Cancer Program seeks to improve methods of prevention, early detection, biological and genetic understanding, diagnosis, and treatment of ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer is the fifth-leading cause of cancer death in U.S. women and presents at an advanced stage in the majority of affected women. The Program’s ambitious research agenda focuses on a spectrum of scientific issues extending from basic investigations of ovarian cancer biology, through an analysis of genomic, biological, immunotherapeutic, and DNA repair abnormality approach directly from clinical specimens, to efforts aimed at testing novel clinical therapeutics. The program addresses the different histologic subtypes of ovarian cancer as well as this cancer’s molecular pathways, the importance of DNA repair to underlying biology, immunology and the tumor microenvironment, early detection and diagnostics, and clinical trials.
The Ovarian Cancer Program is multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and includes clinical, translational and laboratory-based research efforts. The Program includes basic scientists, medical oncologists, gynecologic oncology surgeons, radiation oncologists, immunologists, pathologists, epidemiologists and biostatisticians, and geneticists. We currently have 65 members in the Ovarian Cancer program.
- Konstantinopoulos PA, Waggoner S, Vidal GA, Mita M, Moroney JW, Holloway R, Van Le L, Sachdev JC, Chapman-Davis E, Colon-Otero G, Penson RT, Matulonis UA, Kim YB, Moore KN, Swisher EM, Färkkilä A, D'Andrea A, Stringer-Reasor E, Wang J, Buerstatte N, Arora S, Graham JR, Bobilev D, Dezube BJ, Munster P. Single-Arm Phases 1 and 2 Trial of Niraparib in Combination With Pembrolizumab in Patients With Recurrent Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Carcinoma. JAMA Oncol 2019. PubMed
- Konstantinopoulos PA, Barry WT, Birrer M, Westin SN, Cadoo KA, Shapiro GI, Mayer EL, O'Cearbhaill RE, Coleman RL, Kochupurakkal B, Whalen C, Curtis J, Farooq S, Luo W, Eismann J, Buss MK, Aghajanian C, Mills GB, Palakurthi S, Kirschmeier P, Liu J, Cantley LC, Kaufmann SH, Swisher EM, D'Andrea AD, Winer E, Wulf GM, Matulonis UA. Olaparib and α-specific PI3K inhibitor alpelisib for patients with epithelial ovarian cancer: a dose-escalation and dose-expansion phase 1b trial. Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20:570-580. PubMed
- Wang S, Blois A, El Rayes T, Liu JF, Hirsch MS, Gravdal K, Palakurthi S, Bielenberg DR, Akslen LA, Drapkin R, Mittal V, Watnick RS. Development of a prosaposin-derived therapeutic cyclic peptide that targets ovarian cancer via the tumor microenvironment. Sci Transl Med 2016; 8:329ra34. PubMed
- Choi YE, Meghani K, Brault ME, Leclerc L, He YJ, Day TA, Elias KM, Drapkin R, Weinstock DM, Dao F, Shih KK, Matulonis U, Levine DA, Konstantinopoulos PA, Chowdhury D. Platinum and PARP Inhibitor Resistance Due to Overexpression of MicroRNA-622 in BRCA1-Mutant Ovarian Cancer. Cell Rep 2016; 14:429-39. PubMed
- Howitt BE, Shukla SA, Sholl LM, Ritterhouse LL, Watkins JC, Rodig S, Stover E, Strickland KC, D'Andrea AD, Wu CJ, Matulonis UA, Konstantinopoulos PA. Association of Polymerase e-Mutated and Microsatellite-Instable Endometrial Cancers With Neoantigen Load, Number of Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes, and Expression of PD-1 and PD-L1. JAMA Oncol 2015. PubMed
- Im H, Shao H, Park YI, Peterson VM, Castro CM, Weissleder R, Lee H. Label-free detection and molecular profiling of exosomes with a nano-plasmonic sensor. Nat Biotechnol 2014. PubMed
- Ojesina AI, Lichtenstein L, Freeman SS, Pedamallu CS, Imaz-Rosshandler I, Pugh TJ, Cherniack AD, Ambrogio L, Cibulskis K, Bertelsen B, Romero-Cordoba S, Treviño V, Vazquez-Santillan K, Guadarrama AS, Wright AA, Rosenberg MW, Duke F, Kaplan B, Wang R, Nickerson E, Walline HM, Lawrence MS, Stewart C, Carter SL, McKenna A, Rodriguez-Sanchez IP, Espinosa-Castilla M, Woie K, Bjorge L, Wik E, Halle MK, Hoivik EA, Krakstad C, Gabiño NB, Gómez-Macías GS, Valdez-Chapa LD, Garza-Rodríguez ML, Maytorena G, Vazquez J, Rodea C, Cravioto A, Cortes ML, Greulich H, Crum CP, Neuberg DS, Hidalgo-Miranda A, Escareno CR, Akslen LA, Carey TE, Vintermyr OK, Gabriel SB, Barrera-Saldaña HA, Melendez-Zajgla J, Getz G, Salvesen HB, Meyerson M. Landscape of genomic alterations in cervical carcinomas. Nature 2014; 506:371-5. PubMed
- Ullal AV, Peterson V, Agasti SS, Tuang S, Juric D, Castro CM, Weissleder R. Cancer cell profiling by barcoding allows multiplexed protein analysis in fine-needle aspirates. Sci Transl Med 2014; 6:219ra9. PubMed
- Perets R, Wyant GA, Muto KW, Bijron JG, Poole BB, Chin KT, Chen JY, Ohman AW, Stepule CD, Kwak S, Karst AM, Hirsch MS, Setlur SR, Crum CP, Dinulescu DM, Drapkin R. Transformation of the fallopian tube secretory epithelium leads to high-grade serous ovarian cancer in Brca;Tp53;Pten models. Cancer Cell 2013; 24:751-65. PubMed