Cancer Risk, Prevention, and Early Detection Program
The DF/HCC Cancer Risk, Prevention, and Early Detection research program focuses on understanding how a person’s genetics, environment, and lifestyle influence cancer incidence and progression. Among its goals the program aims to translate biological discoveries and develop new technologies into novel paradigms for cancer interception. The scope ranges from the general population to high-risk groups to individuals with pre-cancerous lesions or targetable mutations.
We investigate methods to reduce cancer burden by
- defining the role of inherited, environmental, and modifiable behavioral risk factors
- developing and implementing innovative interventions (screening tests, biomarkers and devices for early detection)
- reducing cancer risk by identifying individuals with cancer predisposition gene mutations and optimal use of established and novel screening tests
- addressing the impact of social, economic, and public policy factors on cancer.
The program is committed to the translation of the scientific advances and dissemination of knowledge into sustainable community-based practices.
- Kang D, Do D, Ryu J, Grant CN, Giddings SL, Rosenberg M, Hesterberg PE, Yuan Q, Garber JJ, Katz AJ, Tearney GJ. A miniaturized, tethered, spectrally-encoded confocal endomicroscopy capsule. Lasers Surg Med 2019. PubMed
- Kwan TT, Bardia A, Spring LM, Giobbie-Hurder A, Kalinich M, Dubash T, Sundaresan T, Hong X, LiCausi JA, Ho U, Silva EJ, Wittner BS, Sequist LV, Kapur R, Miyamoto DT, Toner M, Haber DA, Maheswaran S. A Digital RNA Signature of Circulating Tumor Cells Predicting Early Therapeutic Response in Localized and Metastatic Breast Cancer. 2018; 8:1286-1299. PubMed
- Tabatabaei N, Kang D, Kim M, Wu T, Grant CN, Rosenberg M, Nishioka NS, Hesterberg PE, Garber J, Yuan Q, Katz AJ, Tearney GJ. Clinical Translation of Tethered Confocal Microscopy Capsule for Unsedated Diagnosis of Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Sci Rep 2018; 8:2631. PubMed
- Tao W, Ji X, Zhu X, Li L, Wang J, Zhang Y, Saw PE, Li W, Kong N, Islam MA, Gan T, Zeng X, Zhang H, Mahmoudi M, Tearney GJ, Farokhzad OC. Two-Dimensional Antimonene-Based Photonic Nanomedicine for Cancer Theranostics. Adv. Mater. Weinheim 2018; 30:e1802061. PubMed
- Syngal S, Furniss CS. Germline Genetic Testing for Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma at Time of Diagnosis. JAMA 2018; 319:2383-2385. PubMed
- Kastrinos F, Uno H, Ukaegbu C, Alvero C, McFarland A, Yurgelun MB, Kulke MH, Schrag D, Meyerhardt JA, Fuchs CS, Mayer RJ, Ng K, Steyerberg EW, Syngal S. Development and Validation of the PREMM5 Model for Comprehensive Risk Assessment of Lynch Syndrome. J Clin Oncol 2017. PubMed